CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Electric start help

I have an 83 shovel that the previous owner removed all of the wiring for electric start. Bike runs fine but I have busted up both knees and can’t kick it any longer.
    Over replaced the inner and outer primary. I’ve also installed starter and solenoid. I’m not experienced with electrical at all. Do any of you know if there is a kit for adding the wiring??

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Bibwhite View Post
    I have an 83 shovel that the previous owner removed all of the wiring for electric start. Bike runs fine but I have busted up both knees and can’t kick it any longer.
    Over replaced the inner and outer primary. I’ve also installed starter and solenoid. I’m not experienced with electrical at all. Do any of you know if there is a kit for adding the wiring??
    I dunno about a kit? What are we doing? Replacing the wiring to the bars and hand controls?

Duplicating or replacing the stock wiring would entail the bars, controls, relay, kill switch and some other stuff. It is a big part of the harness, actually. It wouldn't be hard to create and add, though. Diagrams are on the Carl Salter site.

Now, if you have replaced the stock hand controls or don't want to go through all of that? There are a variety of options.

The simplest one I ever saw was on my bike when I bought it and it was just a little spring like piece of steel someone mounted to the starter solenoid that you pushed to engage the starter when you wanted. It even fit under the rubber cover so you couldn't see it. Rock simple and cheap.

Or, you could wire a high current button in line there and mount it somewhere...

OR, if you want you can use about any momentary button, or an ignition switch with a momentary "start" position, mount it wherever you want, and add a relay..

Or even be fancy with something like this if you wanted, and have none of that wiring involved:

https://www.denniskirk.com/v-factor/...hoCJ5gQAvD_BwE

This really depends on what you have to work with now and what you want to end up with..
    Last edited by confab; 10-30-2020 at 4:38 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

PS: I found this pic while looking for a spring like device, similar to the one on my bike when I bought it.

This is as simple as starter wiring gets.. It goes up in complexity and price from here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1022_4de346564dd72914239200149419111defb00ca7.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

That looks cool and simple enough. Thank you.

Get Adobe Flash player

PS: I think someone said they made one like that out of a bent feeler gauge?

Get Adobe Flash player

A feeler gauge is used in the pic, you can see the thickness markings.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post
    PS: I found this pic while looking for a spring like device, similar to the one on my bike when I bought it.

This is as simple as starter wiring gets.. It goes up in complexity and price from here.
    Around here I've heard that called a Boozy Creek start button.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd like to see a little more clearance between the feeler gauge and the hot post. A big pothole might make expensive noise.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

Most Folks will install the rubber boot over the sol. and feeler gauge..
    To start, just reach down and push in on the boot ...

Last edited by Dragstews; 10-31-2020 at 7:48 PM.

Share This