CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Rear wheel alignment

Hi. Im facing problem with a rear wheel. When both sides of tensioners are equal, center of wheel and tire is moved by ~1cm to left. Chain is ok. On my hub one side is wider, that's sprocket side right? Can this be this how by bad truing to the left side instead of center? I'd like to weld fender mount but now i'm not sure if everything is ok. Gap between two blue marks on seat tube is where the center of this tube is. Cheers ��Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200805_174308.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	280.6 KB 
ID:	105434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200805_174727.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	105435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200805_174741.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	105436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200805_174623.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	105437
    Last edited by v3ko123; 08-06-2020 at 12:57 AM.

Hello,

Im not quite sure what your problem is, (sometimes the writtenword is hard to understand) but if your rear and front sprockets are still in line when everything is snugged down and adjusted, and you still have chain clearance , things should be ok. If your chain is running close to anything and your chain is adjusted correctly, you should be ok as well. You only need very little clearance for the chain.

But lets talk about chain tensioners: Not all adjusters are the same, expecially in custom frames or applications. Counting threads or measuring the adjusters will get you in the ball park, but you should also have a ref to measure the rim or tire itself to ensure it isnt adjusted off and running cockeyed

If your rim was trued by a reputable person, I doubt thats your problem

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The wheel hubs from the evo era, and later, have the drive flange moved out about .20" compared to the brake side flange. The shovel era disc brake hubs were symmetrical.

You can fix your alignment problem by offset lacing the rim since you have a wire wheel. Nothing wrong with that. Figure out how much offset you need. Dismount the tire so that the spokes you are taking up can be ground off on the inside (as is the usual practice). There should be plenty of thread for both taking up and letting out the spoke adjustments.

That is the simple fix. A swap to the earlier wheel hub, and a juggle of the axle spacing would be the more difficult approach.

This problem is very common on any chassis that is not "stock." It's never as easy as it looks.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Your chain looks like it's running just right....... Could you take a pic from the rear further back to give it a better perspective??????

The pics are hard to see the chain alignment.

I am thinking the original poster sees that the wheel is not in the exact middle of the frame when he tightens things down....... I would not expect the wheel to be exactly midline, regardless.

If the chain is in alignment and is not hitting anything, Im thinking there really is no problem, even if the wheel is not exactly "midline"

But lets say you dont like the dif of measurement. It could off set some by running a dished rear sprocket, but I cant really tell how much clearance you have on either side that might be affected by running a dished rear sprocoket

Thoughts?

Watch this video, it may be of use to you since you have spokes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Kf_yDuwoE

Share This