CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Mass VS Rhode Island... Inspections and legalities!?

Thinking about bring the family up around Boston or to Providence. I am a bit concerned about being able to bring my chop and have it be legal... thoughts from folks that live up that way? My bike isn't exactly legal in NC either, but I know a guy, and the cops don't care.... what is it like up that way?

-FlipClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20201104_135545.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	277.2 KB 
ID:	107051

Get Adobe Flash player

I would say highly variable depending on the particular town your in. Mass is helmets, RI no helmet law.
    The law is strange. I can buy weed legal in Mass but not a menthol cigarette. It's opposite in RI.
    I think if you're riding around illegal someway in either state your playing Russian Roulette.

I see this same type of question every now and then on the forum

The bottom line is to face to face ask someone who you will eventually have to go to in the first place: The states DMV you plan to register with. Otherwise you are really wasting your time. "He said, she said", shit house lawyers, etc............................ I hate dealing with the DMV, but thats what you are looking at

And really, your cops "Dont care?" You can bet pretty much any cop, if they see something wrong on a routine traffic stop, they will track something suspicious.........But we dont how your bike "isnt really legal"

Man, get the facts from the folks you will actually have to deal with and get your sled legal. It sucks, I dont agree with all the rules and regs, but I dont want to spend money on a lawyer or possible jail time or fines.

You havent said what isnt legal. If its simple as turn signals or mirrors or a horn, thats one thing. Just change them, at least as long as it takes to get legal.

Good luck

Get Adobe Flash player

Ugh. High taxes, more traffic, five minute riding season... I escaped a very nice town in Jersey long ago and nofuckingway would I move back up Nawth unless I had spectacularly good financial reasons to do so and then I'd take the money and run.
    I've lived in NC (near Bragg but NOT in Fayettenam because fuck that), SC and GA and would take any of those (in the right county like anywhere else) over the Northeast.

Besides winter being a slushy abomination and traffic sucking even forty years ago let alone today the gun laws blow too. There are many good reasons northerners escape southward when they retire if they can afford it. I escaped in my youth instead.

Pluses are gloriously beautiful fall foliage (but not better than NC mountains) and real Italian food but I'd look to move laterally instead of longitudinally.

Good luck but the bike would be my least concern. I'd rather take a kick in the nuts than move back because the pain would end sooner.

Get Adobe Flash player

And none of that Southern hospitality. We're nasty.

Get Adobe Flash player

Not nasty, just direct, but that helps when cursing out people in traffic jams.

Get Adobe Flash player

Stay the fuck out of New England all together man! Everything farmall said is spot on. I moved here from Chicago 20 years ago an would give pretty much anything to move back to the midwest or south.
    With that being said I live in RI currently. No Helmet law. I have my bike registered and insured but never get it inspected. Ride in and out of RI, CT, and MA and have never had an issue. As far as I know none of my buddies have never had and issue with their bikes/ chops. Like docmel said best bet is the DMV and get the information your self, this is just my personal experience.

Get Adobe Flash player

So it sounds like N.Carolina is the preferred Carolina. My nephew and his girlfriend, both ER doctors are planning a move to N or S but tell me they like Charlotte and are hoping for that. Youngsters these days move around at the drop of a hat.

Get Adobe Flash player

NC has (much) better roads than SC but does have minimal POV inspections. Higher taxes but the government is far less retarded.
    I would probably have retired in NC and still have a house on ten acres there but my unit moved back to Shaw so it was easy to move back. I have it good but for jobs and tech jobs NC is far better and has a better educated workforce.

SC is cheap to live in because the government doesn't tax the citizenry to invest in growth (just corruption and incompetence) but no helmet law for adults and no POV inspections work great for me and IDGAF how they run their show if they don't get in my way. Sc is poor enough to shoot down tax increases most of the time. New vehicle taxes suck but the rest are low.

NC would be far better for someone young as the RTP triangle and Greenville etc are good places to work and live. Charlotte's growth rate is screaming fast so if anyone moves there buying a home far enough in front of the growth would pay off. Young folk SHOULD move because work is mobile and if you buy into a growing hood you can cash out before it ages and you're stuck there.

NC is also more likely to legalize weed in the future. They do bonded titles so if ya have relatives there it could come in handy. NC has more biker events, better industrial auctions (because it actually had established industry) and a stronger economy. Of course an option could be living on the border in SC to enjoy NC without paying for it. NC has plenty of room to retire in without being encroached on as does SC.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for all of the responses. Some of them were helpful lol.

Nc is a decent place to live, but it is very boring. There is NOTHING going on here, and, having spent most of my childhood in Los Angeles, I am clawing at my skin with boredom. Additionally, the people around here and I generally do not see eye to eye, and finding friends has been tough. I have lived here for a long time too. NE does appear to suck when it comes to bikes, but it is much better about everything else. We will see what happens. I am starting my Doctorate next fall. I may end up staying here, may end up moving. NJ and Philly area seems to be a bit more open to people riding death traps.....

If any of yall end up in central NC let me know and we can be bored together!

Get Adobe Flash player

Well it's November and the temperature has been in the high seventies here in NE for several days now and bikes roar past the house all day.

Funny how this thread went from the original post to what its like to live in my aera: So Ill continue the trend

Im a NC native and lived there for almost 48 years. I left NC about 12 years ago for really two reasons: The East Coast, to me at least, is too populated. Power outages for 2 weeks our longer.... For those that live in the mid atlantic states, (or any state that is on the coast) and the NE, the water quality alone is bad enough to want to leave. NC, SC, VA, and Ga rivers and lakes are so low, the polluted waters just get worse from industrial run off, but whats worse is the poultry and pork waste run offs and standing pools of animal waste. Hurricanes: What you dont see on TV is the follow on pollution from the damage; I remember back in one NC hurricane we flew from Fayetteville NC to the Outer Banks about 2 days afte. Graves in the hundreds flooded out: The hour long flight I saw literally nothing but hundreds of thousands of drowned cattle, pigs and hundreds of flooded out chicken houses: All that crap, and more, along with low water levels for years after, really doesnt do anything for me. And if you are on a well, I would have your water analyzed at least once a year. The Air quality speaks for itself. And crime?: You do the math.......

So now I live in Co, at 9300 feet ASL. So what do I have to deal with now? Forest Fires............ And the shitty politics here. But I am self sufifcient, and I have clean air and water and room to manuever....

Not trying to sound like a tree hugger, but I dont eat where shit is nearby, thats just me> But it does prove, no matter where you go, you have to deal with some level of BS. But thank God we have the freedom TO move.

So going back to the OP: Have you found out from a real source on what you need to get your sled legal?

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm in MA. When I got my bike inspected, the guy only checked to see that the headlight and tail/brake lights worked. Didn't care about anything else. But,,, mine is a lot older than yours, and didn't originally have turn signals, so not really comparing apples to apples here and your mileage may vary.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sure I got a friend who gave me an inspection sticker with no front brake or fender but that doesn't mean a cop won't bust us for it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes, I basically wrote off both places lol. I am either staying here OR looking a Jersey outside of Philly. My bike would need alot to be legal. I would likely just have to sell it and start over with the requirements in mind. In MA you can do almost whatever you want if the bike is old enough. As mine is an 09, I have to have EVERYTHING. I might be able to get lucky and find someone to pass it for me, but IDK.

I SHOULD have mufflers and a horn here in NC.. But my buddy passes the bike each year for me.

Get Adobe Flash player

PA can be pretty cool (and has a very old and very large antique bike and car community) and being familiar with both I'd lean towards PA but of course pick your specific neighborhood carefully. Also compare all the tax rates that affect you. Jersey is brutal.

Storms don't bother me (I'm grossly over-prepared since Hugo long ago) but I wouldn't live near the Cape Fear river in NC. NC flooding is mostly a problem specific to that river and waste ground like Lumberton (the only reason anyone lives there is inablity to escape or a good business on I-95) and not of much effect on the rest of the state. NC has plenty of modern, techy and better educated areas than the Cape Fear river zone where the only reason it was settled is the highlands were taken. (Elevation used to be much more considered when buying property and I still do.) They aren't what generally gets fucked by flooding. Poor areas everyone sane should avoid get flushed like the toilets they are.

Each state has areas to avoid and if ya use a topo map and flood zone map you can be well away from them. For example I lived the right distance and direction from Fayettenam to not care about the river or flooding because my property is ten acres on a hill with great drainage and cannot flood, and being on the southern side of I-95 in an agricultural zoning area under steady but slow development means everyone else spends their money to make my shit worth more which is why I'm hanging onto it. I picked an area near a golf course with expensive developments but not too close so I don't get fucked with.

Where ever ya go do your research and lots of it. Motorcycles are disposable. Houses and acreage not so much.

Get Adobe Flash player

Eastern NC was settled because that's where people came first. Late seventeenth century, so europeans have been here a long time, at least by U.S. standards. And you know many people are loath to move from their homeplace no matter how inhospitable to their existence. Plus, it is good farmland and is still farmed extensively. North Carolina has a lot to offer, but don't tell anybody, there are too many people here already.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Its really hard to get people to pass you on inspections in MA now. They have cameras in each garage pointed every way you can think of and I hear body cameras for the inspector are coming if they aren't already here.

Share This