CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Sprocket pairing?

I am converting my 1990 1200 XLH sportster to chain drive and am having hell trying to figure out a good sprocket pairing. But b I’m sure there are plenty of you who can help me so let me know what you think! I’ve got a 4 speed transmission and 16” rear wheel.. I have a front sprocket with 23 teeth.. next step is buying a rear sprocket. How many teeth do you recommend On the rear and why?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Quint; 4 Weeks Ago at 9:34 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Standard XL gearing is 21/51 for the ironheads, and I think 21/48 for the 1100 evo XL. A 23T transmission sprocket is awfully long to start with. You may want to reconsider that. You probably want to start with a final drive ratio of 2.43:1 to 2.29:1. Not knowing the particulars of your individual motorcycle, it's nigh impossible to provide further guidance.

Jim
    Last edited by JBinNC; 4 Weeks Ago at 9:15 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Someone changed my gearing also.. Both the primary and final side.

I learned the Dennis Kirk website lists final drive, stock, sprocket tooth counts for front and rear when you add a bike to "Your Garage"

Which is handy when you want to see historical combinations for different bikes. It lists other stock configuration stuff that can be helpful also.

Gearing is very much personal preference. What do you want out of it, acceleration or top speed? I had 21/55 on my 4 speed Sporty. Took some top speed off, but pulled like hell.

Get Adobe Flash player

Calculate RPM For A Given Speed In Top Gear

Fill in the blanks or choose dropdown options

https://bakerdrivetrain.com/pages/ca...e-rpm-vs-speed

Get Adobe Flash player

Motorcycle Performance Guide

Calculate Gear Ratios

This program calculates the gear ratios of a motorcycle. The primary drive ratio and overall ratios for each gear are all calculated. Just enter the data in the white boxes below, then click the "Calculate" Button. Pressing the "Reset" button loads the default values into the form.

The reset values displayed are from a 1994 FXDL Harley-Davidson Dyna Low Rider. All late model Harley Big Twin models have similar. The Rear Wheel Sprocket can vary, with belt drive models using a 61, 65 or 70 tooth sprocket.
    Below is a table of typical values for late model Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/calc_gearratios.htm

Make it easy on yourself. Its all about how the bike actually runs and feels for YOU and your riding style.

I would keep the your current tranny sprocket and just change out your rear sprocket to meet your needs. A little less (Way less on a BT) labor and what I like about rear sprockets is that many BT and Sporty rear sprockets are interchangable....................... The smaller you go on the rear, the less rpms you will run on the open road, if thats what you are looking for.

BUT: Depending on what you want to a change, you may run out of chain length, or have too much

Share This