• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fastxlch
    • Jan 2022

Almost buying the farm

Took a cold ride today on my road king.
    Headed north of Philly on I 95 .
    Just as I passed cottman Ave a file cabinet fell off the truck in front of me catching my right side bag at 70 mph. #pantsfullofshit
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Fastxlch
    Took a cold ride today on my road king.
    Headed north of Philly on I 95 .
    Just as I passed cottman Ave a file cabinet fell off the truck in front of me catching my right side bag at 70 mph. #pantsfullofshit
    Damn man got lucky or had solid riding skills, either way good to hear ya walked away in one piece. Did the driver stop afterwards or anything?

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Count your Blessings ...

Back when I was living in Kentucky a 18 wheeler Trucker lost partial load off his flatbed on I-65, along came another 18 wheeler and ran over it taking out his steering, truck crossed the medium and hit a van head-on ..

Four kids and their mother lost their life's that day ... ... The truck driver had minor injuries' ..
      The trucker that lost his load kept on going ... Police was searching for him, not sure if he was ever found ..??
      Last edited by Dragstews; 01-13-2022, 6:23 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• rockman96
        • May 2018

Shit happens fast. Real fast. Trucks running recaps all always at the front of my mind when interstate riding in the heat of summer... Those things will throw off a 50 lb chunk of bouncing, unpredictable rubber in the blink of an eye. You'd be dead before you hit the asphalt.

Comment

• Revelator
          • Aug 2009

Whenever I see a pick up truck or open trailer in front of me, I try to stay
          away from it as much as possible
          I remember several years ago, Barry Wardlaw of Accurate engr. crashed when
          a spare tire bounced out of a pick up truck that was in front of Him.
          So even if the truck bed isn't caring cargo, It can still bite you in the ass!
          And a buddy of mine was behind a van and the fucking back door flew open,
          & a bunch of 1 gallon paint cans fell out! He swerved to the shoulder of the road
          & almost ate shit, But regained control.
          Avoid any kind of trucks or vans!!
          even the big rigs scare me,
          I new a guy back in the late '70's, known as Biker Bob, & He was riding on the 101
          near ventura, CA. with His girlfriend on the back, & there were two 18 wheelers with
          an open lane between them, & Bob moved into that lane, The truck on the left didn't
          see the bike & moved into Biker Bob's lane & the result was a gruesome crash that
          killed them on the spot.
          & I have personally had a couple of scary moments with truckers not seeing me.
          You have to be paying attention, & Almost be expecting them to wipe you out.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Following distance has been my friend for decades. My truckerbros have told me for many years (along with my late wife who drove for a while before saying fuck all that) that companies churn through noobs, treat them like shit then wonder why they haven't enough drivers.

The so-called professional behind that wheel may be anything but and "maintenance" may be as bad or worse. I've seen the horrors dragged into my dieselmechbros shop (lots of logging trucks and local truss haulers) and give any rig a wide fucking berth.

Poole tried to hand wife a trailer whose tandem was about to fall off and was actually cocked sideways and not fully attached. Our local truss company had a brake drum come apart killing a woman driving behind.

I ride as if everyone else is blind, retarded and has a phone in one hand with a crack pipe in the other.

Comment

• markwade74
              • Mar 2012

Once had a pallet of roofing felt paper fall out of a pickup in front of me. I swerved, zigged, and zagged like a f#$king pro and thought I was out of it until a wad of plastic wrapping locked up my back wheel and sent me end over end.

Nice little old lady that stopped told the officers when I finally came to a stop I stood up and immediately fell back out. Truck never stopped.

Learnt my lesson, I follow wayyyyy back now

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

BTW that shit is why I install effective brakes on everything that's not vintage and being kept vintage (for those I time my stops with a calendar).

Comment

• DustyDave
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by farmall
                  Following distance has been my friend for decades. My truckerbros have told me for many years (along with my late wife who drove for a while before saying fuck all that) that companies churn through noobs, treat them like shit then wonder why they haven't enough drivers.

The so-called professional behind that wheel may be anything but and "maintenance" may be as bad or worse. I've seen the horrors dragged into my dieselmechbros shop (lots of logging trucks and local truss haulers) and give any rig a wide fucking berth.

Poole tried to hand wife a trailer whose tandem was about to fall off and was actually cocked sideways and not fully attached. Our local truss company had a brake drum come apart killing a woman driving behind.

I ride as if everyone else is blind, retarded and has a phone in one hand with a crack pipe in the other.
                  I was dam near run over by a woman driving a mini van in 2 lanes holding her cell up by the roof so she could see to text in the sun she was driving into with a quart of Old English 800 in the other hand and no hand on the wheel at all. At the last second she calmly reached out with the lower two fingers from the beer bottle and steered back into her lane and was still taping away with her thumb as she went by.
                  Dusty
                  Last edited by DustyDave; 01-16-2022, 7:00 PM.
                  Driving that train, high on cocaine
                  Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                  Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                  And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• EVILBLACKSABRE
                    • Dec 2013

A piece of sheet metal came flying off the back of a truck in the lane next to me about a month back (a flatbed with those removeable wood rails around it). The truck was a little ahead of me, and the sheet went spinning right past my head. I guess the airflow had caught it and picked it up.

Nothing like a flying guillotine whizzing past your head to put you in touch with your mortality. And I was wearing an open face helmet. If I had been just a short distance further back the metal would have spun right into my face.

Heck, I've been riding regularly since 1986. I've had too many near-death experiences to count.

Like I always say, "To ride a motorcycle you gotta either have a good sense of denial, or you gotta be crazy. Or both." Goin on 36 years now for me, with no intentions of stopping.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;