Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

In 2017-2018 period there were 52,000 U.S. deaths from the flu, last year there were 819,000 deaths from covid.

During the 2018 year there were 36,560 deaths from auto accidents. Cancer gets close with 609,000 deaths in 2018.

I used 2018 numbers as they are the last, pre-covid numbers and more representative as everyone was not barricaded in their houses.

Pull your own analysis as to how dangerous covid is. We are struggling with a need to take a driving trip to Denver in order to return my daughters dog which we have been rehabbing and then a stop in Phoenix to see my oldest daughter and mother.

It all sucks the big one.
    Last edited by DoomBuggy; 12-29-2021, 9:31 AM.

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
      • Oct 2016

From what I’ve read in JEM lately, SARS-COV has fitness peaked as a viral strain, maximum transmission. In terms of ability to spread and deadliness it has reached its pinnacle and while it will remain present for quite awhile, we have seen the worst of what it had to offer. Moving into the future, we will see mutations with various levels of illness and infection spread, but they will likely continue to decline in severity as time goes on. Hope for the best.

With that being said, our numbers are still astronomical. I wanted to dig into the data more yesterday at work, due to a massive volume of staff call ins, mainly due to Covid, I never got a chance. We’ve gotten our local bed bugs situation well under control, elective surgeries are still behind, blood remains in short supply nationwide, and as usual the holidays have brought in large swaths of alcoholics/drug addicts/psych patients.
      Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays, and stay healthy.

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
        In 2017-2018 period there were 52,000 U.S. deaths from the flu, last year there were 819,000 deaths from covid.
        Globally?

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

Sorry my bad, 385,000 last year u.s.

Comment

• 70fatster
            • Jan 2013

Sorry my bad, 385,000 last year u.s.
            This is the way things are these days. The misinformation is written in bold, the retraction is always regular writing, and only when called out.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
              • Oct 2016

Focus on the numbers not the politics, 385,000 should still make you think.

Comment

• 70fatster
                • Jan 2013

Focus on the numbers not the politics, 385,000 should still make you think.
                I hear what you're saying. It does make me think.
                It makes me think the numbers are politics.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by 70fatster
                  I hear what you're saying. It does make me think.
                  It makes me think the numbers are politics.
                  Politics or not, it’s always what is represented by the numbers, human lives. I don’t watch Covid numbers outside of what is published within the medical system, nor do I follow politics as it attempts to pertain to science.
                  It’s easy to be frustrated, blind, or questioning of the pandemic when you live within a microcosm of society and don’t realize the full impact of everything going on.
                  I don’t get that luxury unfortunately and I will tell you it is a shit-show far greater than most realize. Even a large population of the medical community who are not entrenched in the shit that we hospital rats deal with don’t have a damn clue what’s going on or to what extent. It’s a daily nightmare that is buckling in more ways than the population realizes right now. We’re having staff, supply, medication, and bed shortages on unparalleled levels nationwide due to the endless droves of sick individuals banging on our doors. It’s serious shit right now and regardless of what CNN or FOX states, this situation needs to be taken seriously and handled accordingly. Stay safe out there.

Comment

• 70fatster
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                    Politics or not, it’s always what is represented by the numbers, human lives. I don’t watch Covid numbers outside of what is published within the medical system, nor do I follow politics as it attempts to pertain to science.
                    It’s easy to be frustrated, blind, or questioning of the pandemic when you live within a microcosm of society and don’t realize the full impact of everything going on.
                    I don’t get that luxury unfortunately and I will tell you it is a shit-show far greater than most realize. Even a large population of the medical community who are not entrenched in the shit that we hospital rats deal with don’t have a damn clue what’s going on or to what extent. It’s a daily nightmare that is buckling in more ways than the population realizes right now. We’re having staff, supply, medication, and bed shortages on unparalleled levels nationwide due to the endless droves of sick individuals banging on our doors. It’s serious shit right now and regardless of what CNN or FOX states, this situation needs to be taken seriously and handled accordingly. Stay safe out there.
                    I believe you more than most other sources. It is frustrating to me that politics has infected every aspect of life, and that what we are told varies so much depending on who is telling it.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	4F9064F3-6926-403F-8095-49DB590399F8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1321508I’m at the smaller site today, numbers
                      205 beds not including ER/Surgery/OB/ETC, inpatient only
                      160 currently occupied
                      52 confirmed Covid or 32.5% of admitted patients not including pending
                      82% of Covid admitted unvaccinated, if i get time I’ll pull the lab data for variants
                      Last edited by ExplodingCoffinEmporium; 12-31-2021, 12:29 PM. Reason: Flight tracker

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

..... Today .....

Later on tonight think I'll get a shot of Old Number 7 too .. !!

... /// https://youtu.be/KkLhJsHxYxM \\\ ...
                        Last edited by Dragstews; 12-31-2021, 2:59 PM.
                        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Oct 2016

Daily numbers for my system Click image for larger version

Name:	F3B7D3CB-1C4B-4E93-8012-859E7C6FDFAB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1321529

Comment

• cisco
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]107290[/ATTACH]I’m at the smaller site today, numbers
                            205 beds not including ER/Surgery/OB/ETC, inpatient only
                            160 currently occupied
                            52 confirmed Covid or 32.5% of admitted patients not including pending
                            82% of Covid admitted unvaccinated, if i get time I’ll pull the lab data for variants
                            Good example of confusing data that can be used as 'fear mongering' fodder..... How many were admitted for covid rather than being tested for it as part of obvious protocol? Of the patients there due to covid how many are in ICU? If 82% of the admitted patients are unvaccinated this does not mean the unvaccinated are more inclined to be hospitalized IF the general population has about the same % of unvaccinated.

Fortunately it is becoming clear that the relatively weaker/less deadly omicron is in fact creating immune response to not only fend off omicron BUT also the deadly delta. Also the extremely rapid spread of the omicron 'cold' (how many experts call it) is effectively stopping the spread of delta as the omicron-recovered are fending off delta. A Godsend this omicron seems to be turning into although as mentioned before the huge spike in case numbers may still overrun hospitals even with its low rate of serious illness.

Experts are now seemingly in line with the idea that omicron will peak and at the same time eliminate delta by around the end of this month. Then omicron cases will crash. Hope they're correct.
                            Last edited by cisco; 01-04-2022, 4:28 AM.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by cisco
                              Good example of confusing data that can be used as 'fear mongering' fodder..... How many were admitted for covid rather than being tested for it as part of obvious protocol? Of the patients there due to covid how many are in ICU? If 82% of the admitted patients are unvaccinated this does not mean the unvaccinated are more inclined to be hospitalized IF the general population has about the same % of unvaccinated.
                              I’ll try to clear up some confusion from the picture and answer every question you brought up.

How many were admitted for covid rather than being tested for it as part of obvious protocol?
                              -At that particular moment 44/52, that’s why you see those outliers of Covid on non Covid units, we don’t move them once it’s been established they are Covid positive.

Of the patients there due to covid how many are in ICU? 14/52 on that day as you can see in the screenshot.

If 82% of the admitted patients are unvaccinated this does not mean the unvaccinated are more inclined to be hospitalized IF the general population has about the same % of unvaccinated.
                              Illinois has a 64% fully vaccinated population. 160 was the total number of hospitalized on that day at that moment regardless of pathology. So with that being said 52 were in the hospital because of Covid with 44/52 coming to the ER and being admitted to the hospital because of Covid. That 82% I reffered to was based on the sample size of 52 Covid patient, not the 160 inpatients.

I apologize if you think I’m trying to “fear monger”. I purely go to work and help patients. I pride myself in objectively performing my duties and view this entire pandemic through as scientific of a lens as possible. While a bunch of arm chair cowboys have been debating over the internet in regards to disease severity, spread, or even reality. I’ve been going to work every single week since the beginning dealing with this shit. We’re packed to the brim with patients everywhere right now. Elective surgeries are off the table, admits of non Covid nature are waiting eons to get into a bed, and staff is falling apart everywhere. It’s hell out there for healthcare workers or those needing care.
                              Last edited by ExplodingCoffinEmporium; 01-04-2022, 7:41 AM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                                • Oct 2016

Well having a daughter who is a PT and a SIL who is an MD, I for one am thankful and appreciative of everything you and the others are doing. Must be a nightmare as each wave kicks in. When this is said and done I will happily buy you a few rounds! Maybe at Dockers

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;