Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 603sporty
    • Dec 2021

1987 sportster no spark?

I started my 87 sportster chop about 2 years ago, I have gotten to the dreaded part of any build. Start up.
    Everything works as it should, I opted out of reusing the factory electronics harness and kept the factory ignition harness. I went with the Thunderheart Performance electronics harness. I understand that this is pretty irrelevant but the coil receives a constant 12v from the battery after I turn my key to the on position.

if anyone can help, I'm kind of stumped.

I am running the factory ignition harness. I understand that throwing parts at a build will never tell you whats wrong. I replaced all of my parts assuming that age has done their best to the components. I am not following up my installations to no spark when I turn my motor over. Why?
    I can manually ground my coil and see spark, but when I turn the motor over I dont get spark. I replaced my ignition system pickup, ignition module, checked grounds, and other connections. What else am I missing?
  • BlackCloudSalvage
    • Jan 2015

Ignition unit wired up correctly? 12+volts from the key on one wire and ignition unit switched signal on another wire, both of these on 1 coil post, then 2nd coil post has good ground wire on it?

Unit should have instructions as well as troubleshooting flow chart included.
    Last edited by BlackCloudSalvage; 12-29-2021, 4:28 AM.

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by BlackCloudSalvage
      Ignition unit wired up correctly? 12+volts from the key on one wire and ignition unit switched signal on another wire, both of these on 1 coil post, then 2nd coil post has good ground wire on it?

Unit should have instructions as well as troubleshooting flow chart included.
      Bad advice.

12V switched on one side of the coil, and that side also connected to the ignition module to provide switched power to the module.

Trigger wire to the other side of the coil. The coil has NO GROUND WIRE CONNECTED AT ALL.

The coil on standard H-D ignition of the era concerned does not have polarity. Either side can be hooked up to the primary inputs and either side of the output can be connected to either plug.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;