CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Ya can get a replacement of what ya had ....

Chrome brake backing plate kit includes cable clamp, shackle, adjuster, cable, backing plate, brake shoes, springs, drum, lugs, arm, cam, pivot stud and grease seal.

Kinda pricey at $480

Or ...

A bit of a upgrade can be had ...

Stopping power of stock, mechanical front brakes on Big Twins thru 1949 with springer style forks is debatable, to say the least. Improvements were difficult to achieve without major (visible) changes. This stock looking Duplex (two brake cams) version of the factory Springer brake improves stopping power significantly if installed correctly. Ride your classic mount with the confidence of having a brake that does what it is supposed to do, when it counts.

And it's also a bit pricey at $537

Then you have the Bad-Boy Drum Brake ..

Even more stopping power than with our double-leading-shoe brake you can achieve with this hydraulic version of the factory Springer fork brake. Behind the stock looking backing plate hides a hydraulic cylinder which activates the brake shoes and significantly improves the brake’s performance to a level unknown to date. Particularly riding in heavy traffic becomes a lot more relaxed with this new set-up.

The kit includes a complete, pre-installed backing plate and a new brake drum. Handlebar brake controls, brake line and fittings are not included and must be ordered separately.

$527.96

And the best stopping on a springer is this that will not look like it belongs ....

DISC BRAKE KITS FOR CLASSIC SPRINGER FORKS

Each kit includes all components to update the good old Big Twin/WLC springer fork (I-Beam Springer forks, too!): dual piston caliper, caliper bracket, brake anchor rod, disc rotor, axle kit, star hub adapter - if required - and all necessary small parts. Just add a brake line and a handlebar master cylinder and you are all set. Two different kits to choose from, for star hub front wheels and for 1973-up flange hubs, each in a standard cad-plated or chrome version. The chrome kits include chromed caliper bracket, anchor rod, wheel axle and some small parts.

$491.98

Lot of choices !!
    if u go with chrome hub have inside turned and brake shoes matched up. get that shit of the inside

Get Adobe Flash player

There is available a Mini drum that is after/market, but unfortunately is mostly only a hill holder ...

And there also is a 10"disc brake unit that works much better than the stock springer drum brake does ...

Both will fit the narrowed springer ....

If you was after a more nostalgia look keeping Harley parts from yesteryear in play ...

Got room for the 72 and back Sportie drum brake ....
    yup hill holder but fakkin perty

Quote Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
    Thanks man!! Did you see the break in the rear leg of the forks? It was nearly rusted through from the inside! I'd sure hate to have an unseen issue like that after spending what stock 1947 springers are going for!!

Looking at the Samwel reproduction offset springer from the Netherlands. Anyone here ever tried one? I've only heard good things about them so far.
    I had a similar experience a long while ago, with the front leg on a springer on a 45 which had been chromed sometime in the 1960s. Luckily I spotted it in the workshop before I ever rode it. Never been willing to ride a chromed springer or girder since.. I have a Samwel repro springer in the workshop at present, for a 45 build. Nice piece of kit, not cheap but worth the $$

Get Adobe Flash player

Samwel springer and brakes are here and put together!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210110_142232.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	108155

Just waiting for the Edlund frame to arrive and then we can get going on this rebuild in earnest!

Get Adobe Flash player

Extended a wee bit ...

Ya know with a little more work ya can do the 3* rake fork cups ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Extended a wee bit ...

Ya know with a little more work ya can do the 3* rake fork cups ...
    Just a wee bit It was kind of an afterthought, so once the frame gets here and I see what the stance is like, I may be looking at a small tweak to the rake if it's sitting too tall for my liking.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to be a big day for you ...

......................................... ..........................................
    Last edited by Dragstews; 01-28-2021 at 1:38 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Haha! Thanks man. Looks like it got bumped to Monday now though. Now,,,, where did I put that vacation request form???

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JakeF View Post

Now.... Where did I put that vacation request form???

Did ya find dat form yet .. ??

Get Adobe Flash player

Did ya find dat form yet .. ??
    Haha, yes! Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

Mock-up progress

Name:	2-1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	108754

Name:	2-2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	108755

Name:	2-3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	108756

Name:	2-4.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	108758

Name:	2-5.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	320.4 KB 
ID:	108759

Get Adobe Flash player

Meanwhile,,, something else accidentally followed me home. '97 Superglide

Name:	20210206_111800.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	311.6 KB 
ID:	108760

Name:	20210206_215402.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	108761

Get Adobe Flash player

How does that neck look compared to an original 30% non-bull neck?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ncmc47 View Post
    How does that neck look compared to an original 30% non-bull neck?
    Well I guess it's about 70% more non-bullneck than a 30% non-bullneck.

It looks pretty dang good to me!

Get Adobe Flash player

Well Dragstews said it was like the 28 degree neck but with 30 degrees of rake, I guess I've never had a 28 neck. Seen pictures but didn't think they looked that much different. So how similar does it look to an original 30? Would it look out of place on a restoration? Since there are Hallmarks available could it pass inspection for an original neck?

Get Adobe Flash player

Well Dragstews said it was like the 28 degree neck but with 30 degrees of rake, I guess I've never had a 28 neck. Seen pictures but didn't think they looked that much different. So how similar does it look to an original 30? Would it look out of place on a restoration? Since there are Hallmarks available could it pass inspection for an original neck?
    These re-pop frames are not cork-sniffers frames ...
    No og hallmarks are casted in ...
    From 25 feet standing back you would have a hard time seeing the difference ..

Get Adobe Flash player

There are people who can put hallmarks on, VTwin even sells them on a sheet.

Get Adobe Flash player

There are people who can put hallmarks on, VTwin even sells them on a sheet.

Ya can get a replacement of what ya had ....

Chrome brake backing plate kit includes cable clamp, shackle, adjuster, cable, backing plate, brake shoes, springs, drum, lugs, arm, cam, pivot stud and grease seal.

Kinda pricey at $480

Or ...

A bit of a upgrade can be had ...

Stopping power of stock, mechanical front brakes on Big Twins thru 1949 with springer style forks is debatable, to say the least. Improvements were difficult to achieve without major (visible) changes. This stock looking Duplex (two brake cams) version of the factory Springer brake improves stopping power significantly if installed correctly. Ride your classic mount with the confidence of having a brake that does what it is supposed to do, when it counts.

And it's also a bit pricey at $537

Then you have the Bad-Boy Drum Brake ..

Even more stopping power than with our double-leading-shoe brake you can achieve with this hydraulic version of the factory Springer fork brake. Behind the stock looking backing plate hides a hydraulic cylinder which activates the brake shoes and significantly improves the brake’s performance to a level unknown to date. Particularly riding in heavy traffic becomes a lot more relaxed with this new set-up.

The kit includes a complete, pre-installed backing plate and a new brake drum. Handlebar brake controls, brake line and fittings are not included and must be ordered separately.

$527.96

And the best stopping on a springer is this that will not look like it belongs ....

DISC BRAKE KITS FOR CLASSIC SPRINGER FORKS

Each kit includes all components to update the good old Big Twin/WLC springer fork (I-Beam Springer forks, too!): dual piston caliper, caliper bracket, brake anchor rod, disc rotor, axle kit, star hub adapter - if required - and all necessary small parts. Just add a brake line and a handlebar master cylinder and you are all set. Two different kits to choose from, for star hub front wheels and for 1973-up flange hubs, each in a standard cad-plated or chrome version. The chrome kits include chromed caliper bracket, anchor rod, wheel axle and some small parts.

$491.98

Lot of choices !!

Yo Dragstews!

Can you direct me to where I can check out and possibly purchase the upgrades drums brakes? Not sure I need chrome but my '47 knucklehead would love these!

Also, if money was no option which set would you go with? I'd like really really really nice stopping brakes!

I Appreciate the help!

If I was rebuilding an older bike and didn’t worry too much about original appearance, wanted decent brakes but didn’t want a disc, I’d go for the BSA and Triumph 2LS units from the late 60s

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=160489

Share This