CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Piping hot mid control action!

I decided life was going to smoothly so I picked up an Ď82 FXR. The homemade forwards were a bit of a reach, so I ordered the V Twin mid control kit.

Iíve run into some issues with the inner shift lever; namely, the circumstance of the lever seems too small and when it runs through the bearings, itís super loose. Hotdog down a hallway loose. Iíve included some pictures for reference.

Am I missing something in how this is supposed to fit?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1259469-FB9A-4320-A60C-A1240EBFD86F.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	106771

Get Adobe Flash player

I can't imagine that is how it is supposed to be.

What is the white, jizz stuff around the bushing?

Did they glue that in?

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't have an '82 but I do have the factory parts book and apparently the '82s don't use the plastic shaft tube on later models and went for bushings and seals (which suck so it's easy to see why they changed the design).

60629-82 is the bushing number and it should fit the shaft like you think it should. It is shown as a loose part with two quad seals between it and the shift lever. The part book illustration doesn't show any seals or a hole in the inner primary cover because the angle is wrong for that.

Nothing about your photo makes any more sense to me than it does to you nor does that look like anything on later FXRs.

Post clear pics of the inside and outside of your inner primary cover
    . Did you buy an inspection cover with a hole for the new shaft?

Do the bushings fit the holes in your inner primary cover and inspection cover? What part numbers are the parts in the kit listed to be?

Show us the rest of what ya have in detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 82_FXR.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

ya biggst problem is that ya bought V-Twin shit,...
    It's all made in gutters from old trash cans by 8 year olds with hammers made from Dog Jaws,...
    throw it away & buy Harley made, or at least quality mids from a maker Stateside,
    nothing Ted at V-Twin fits or works, there are many out there making Mids for Harleys that are hands down far better,...

Get Adobe Flash player

Holy shit you guys are awesome with the quick responses!

White thing is a nylon washer I left on there to confound...

Farmall, I appreciate the part numbers. I did pick up a service manual and parts manual- I was thinking at first it was that the V Twin bushings were the wrong size; so I snagged some NOS bushings still in their bags- still a super loose on the shaft. The bushings are a good snug fit in the inner primary, BUT, Fun bonus: I bought the inspection cover with a hole in it off EBay, and they are loose in that. All I can guess is that it was worn or possibly reamed for a larger bushing. As for the part numbers on the Vtwin labels, they are consistent with what they should be, but obviously something is off (and I’m leaning heavily towards the shifter shaft).

I’ll get you pictures of the inner and outer chain case. Inner seems to be off of an FL based on the part number.

Also, laughed aloud at the “dog jaw” hammer. Going to see if they have one on sale at Sears. Try as I may, I cannot find an OEM inner shift lever (or even an American made aftermarket offering for ‘82-‘83) outside of Boosted Brad’s $1200 kit.

I am thinking I’m gonna have to have bushings machined for this shit shaft.
    Last edited by KarlHungus; 10-20-2020 at 8:36 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

I feel like there might be a pre 82 inner shifter shaft that I might be able to find as NOS or that might have an aftermarket offering given the fact this thing has an FL inner on it though.

If it helps, the inner primary stamped part number is 60602-79... I DON’T have an FL parts book, so maybe there is a different shaft for a heel toe setup or something I can substitute for the unicorn OEM 82 FXR inner shift shaft.

Share This