Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmac982011
    • Oct 2014

How to title/register a custom build in Florida

I built a bike in my garage, ground up. New frame with vin and BOS, 1981 Shovelhead motor with BOS. I have a headlight, and taillight (no horn, turn signals, popcorn maker, or nut sack warmer). How can I find out what the "requirements" are for a bike in Florida? All I know is I have to fill out some paperwork and take the bike to an inspection center...but it doesn't tell me what all they are looking to inspect. Trying to avoid showing up and getting shot down on something.
    Thanks
  • KeysRyder
    • Oct 2014

Good luck, From what I gathered researching was it depends on the local DMV. Officially I think you have to show an MSO which you dont have. And proof of purchase of engine as well, some have said an MSO but don't see how you would get one of those. Get it inspected for required DOT safety items, because remember it will be a 2014 so has to be legal for this year. Its a little shady but if I were you I would find a stock donor frame, buells are cheap, with a clean florida title. Scrap the oem neck and stamp the numbers in your neck then go upto the DMV and title it and put the plates on your bike. Of course I am sure this is illegal but if you scrap the OEM neck and stamp the correct numbers in your neck, nothing could go wrong, now if you don't scrap the neck then your in trouble.
    Another option is to know a deputy or trooper to sign the required DMV forms.

Comment

• bobscogin
      • Jun 2011

Start here:http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_FL.pdf Make sure you scroll down to the form that says "Statement Of Builder"HSMV 84490 (Rev. 08/18/10) pages 1 and 2, and form HSMV 84491 (Rev. 8/10). Then go to APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF TITLE WITH/WITHOUT REGISTRATION, HSMV 82040 (REV 08/10) S. Lots of other pertinent information in that link also. Have a good time, and good luck.

Bob

Comment

• Wolfie
        • Apr 2024

PM me....lol...will cost ya a lil though....I register it up here in the NE, as a "salvage vehicle"...then send it all back to ya.....(just the papers)....

Find someone in a state that does "salvage titles"....shoot em a few hunnert....yer cool then....wont be cheap in states that require insurance for registration, btw....figure on a $2-300 deal....

Registrations vary by state.....some are lax....some are a real whore.....

Comment

• hd67xlch
          • Apr 2024

My experience with FL DMV

Originally posted by kmac982011
          I built a bike in my garage, ground up. New frame with vin and BOS, 1981 Shovelhead motor with BOS. I have a headlight, and taillight (no horn, turn signals, popcorn maker, or nut sack warmer). How can I find out what the "requirements" are for a bike in Florida? All I know is I have to fill out some paperwork and take the bike to an inspection center...but it doesn't tell me what all they are looking to inspect. Trying to avoid showing up and getting shot down on something.
          Thanks
          Your going to need that MSO which came with the new frame you have, they are going to require receipts for all major parts, motor,tranny,primary set up,front end, tank, fenders,seat etc. Ive done this twice in NW FL in the last 15 years and the people at the DMV really made me show those receipts. You can go online and print out the paperwork before you get there and fill in the numbers for what and how much you paid for the parts, I would, it saves alot of time at the DMV, and they always seem to be in a bad mood when it comes to this stuff.

Be prepared for a FHP trooper to come out and eye fuck your bike looking for any reason possible to not approve the build. You may or may not get away without turn signals, and a horn, once I did once I didnt. All just my experiences and JMO.

Comment

• Jimmy58883
            • Dec 2021

Can u contact me [email protected]

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;