Email Password
Search

Default Ď82 FXR 5 speed shift forks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	976455E8-DABB-450B-A3D0-E4B6B36D637D.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	106669

Iíve been having some issues with 1st gear not wanting to engage.

When I push the shifter down it doesnít feel like thereís a gear there at all, when I spin the tire 1st gear catches. Iíve tried to adjust the shift linkage and clutch. This got me nowhere. Still the same issue.

I pulled the trans cover off and figured Iíd check out the gears, shift fork, drum and pawl.

The issue I have now is that for the life of me, I CANNOT get this shift fork out.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Anyone have any tips on how to get this thing out?

My next question being, if I do get this fork out how the hell am I going to get another one in.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

First of all, these transmissions are not designed to shift unless either the input or output shaft is turning, i.e., half the gears are in motion. These transmissions are constant mesh dog clutch transmissions, not syncromesh transmissions.
    Second, I think the shift fork you are indicating is for fourth gear. It will come out, but you may have to move it side to side or move one of the other gears to slip it out.
    Third, shift forks give very little trouble in five speed transmissions, they are just not that much of a problem, even in high mileage units.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

What does your Harley manual say how to adjust it or get it out???????? If you don't have a manual you can down load one for free................

Share This