CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Chain question

Default Chain question

I'm putting a chain on my '93 sporty build. The chain I bought came with a rivet style master link. I bought a clip style master link, because I have no experience with the rivet type.

Is the rivet type better in some way? If so, how are ya'll pressing the pins?

Also, the clip master link didn't come with extra 'X' rings. I'm assuming you need the rings in the master link. If so I can use the ones that come off when I break the chain. Does that sound right? I ordered the chain from T.C. Bros.

By the way, what kind of lube are ya'll using?

Thanks for any help.

'71

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

If it's the correct clip type master link, it will have orings (or xrings) included. Be careful there. You can reuse the rings that are in the chain, if you are careful not to damage them, but new is a safer bet.

Jim

10/4 I do have the new x rings that are with the rivet master link I can use.

I'll just measure the pin lengths and make sure they will accommodate the x rings.
    Thanks JBinNC

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I first used the rivet type master link on my newer Triumph (06 Thruxton.) After having used them, I wouldn't go back to the clip type. What happens with the clip type is that when your chain stretches to a certain point, the master link will come loose. You can go to cycle gear or another such online business and get a chain breaker/ press tool set up for $40-50. Well worth the money, and makes shortening your chain when needed much easier. Using the clip type master link, be sure to get a spare and keep it with you. A lot of the old school guys I know kept one on the zipper pull of their riding jacket.

Thanks Will. Good info.

Share This