Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goofin
    • Jun 2014

another curve ball...

2 months ago she had to have her right leg amputated above the knee due to vascular disease. we had already been figuring on modifying her S40 so she could ride, but now it looks like her left leg is going to come off by spring.
    A side car is our only option if that indeed happens. Looking around there's either cheap side cars under $2200 or better side cars that run up to $7k
    Anyone have experience building one or know of a website that has plans? Side car with be put on my Suzuki 1200 V4 so im already set up for plenty of torque and it dual disc brakes up front and a single disc in the rear.
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Is a trike conversion an option for her S40?

S40 Trike Conversion (Read 11 times)

SuzukiSavage.com : - Apparel Decals The Elite Technical Performance Parts suzuki, savage, ls650, s40, motorcycle, suzuki savage, ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping

and maybe something here:

"Motorcycle-Amputee is an informal website based organization created by Victor Walther. The website is intended to provide information, encouragement, and inspiration for amputee, injured, and physically challenged motorcyclists as well as provide an international venue for amputee motorcyclists to share and promote their accomplishments and motorcycle modifications.
    The website contains information on motorcycle modifications for amputee, injured, and disabled motorcyclists as well as information on modified artificial limbs and prosthetic suppliers and manufacturers..."

mtb pictures and information on amputee mountain biking and cycling. Includes arm amputees, leg amputees, prosthetic limbs and devices, mountain bike modifications, mountain biking skills, and technique.
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Goofin
      • Jun 2014

thanks for the info, unfortunately we learned last night through dopler tests that her left leg is dying and will have to come off by spring. the plan is to keep it as long as possible for her to develop the skills needed with not having both legs. another curve ball...gonna have to design a cab that she will be able to get into and a rack to haul the wheelchair

Comment

• 47str8leg
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Goofin
        thanks for the info, unfortunately we learned last night through dopler tests that her left leg is dying and will have to come off by spring. the plan is to keep it as long as possible for her to develop the skills needed with not having both legs. another curve ball...gonna have to design a cab that she will be able to get into and a rack to haul the wheelchair
        Used to see a guy at a local bar that was a paraplegic ride in on his bike with a sidecar that was set up like a trailer to hold his wheelchair,
        He could hop from the bike onto the wheelchair, spin it around so he could take out two pins and lower the rear tailgate with a rope that was tied around a dock cleat that he had mounted to the trailer. Then he would roll himself off and to the bar to hang out. To leave he did the same thing in reverse.
        Hadn’t thought about him in years until now.

Comment

• DustyDave
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

A friend built this one bout 8 years ago for one of his handicapped friends, he couldn't pick up his feet more than a coupla inches, hence the step thru design. VW engine with auto trans, Kawa 600 front end, box in rear for his crutches. Seems like all of it came from his VW shop and the scrap yard next door.
          DustyClick image for larger version

Name:	HandyCapTryke3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	1321392Click image for larger version

Name:	HandyCapTryke.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	1321391
          Driving that train, high on cocaine
          Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
          Trouble ahead, trouble behind
          And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Sidehacks can be fitted with alternate controls for complete hand control of the vehicle. Some look like the rear mount bars in pic below but located to the side using a plate and Heim-jointed rod setup.

The car guys sell electric power brake booster kits for hot rods which could be slaved to a handlebar master cylinder driving a slave cylinder to drive the master cylinder pushrod.

This design could use a variety of powerplants including DCT drivetrains from say a Gold Wing that also have reverse.

The rear loading ramp is simple, could work on a sidehack, and could be remote operated using a remote control electric winch fob (and the gate could be raised and lowered by winch cable.

Electric and pneumatic shifters are available.

Tomco made some interesting wheelchair hacks:

I would like to locate others that own a Tomco Wheelchair accessible sidecar. If you are one or you have seen one please e- me at [email protected]

Ya might hunt Tomco owners for pics then either modify an existing sidecar frame or fab something. Welding nice thick mount tabs to your motorcycle frame of choice (which could have multiple holes and be long as practical to offer maximum rod location options) would make the bike-side part simple and rugged.

Heavy duty Heim AKA rose joints are reasonably priced. Ag equipment uses all sorts of interesting connecting links so if ya live near a (real) ag supply store I suggest every mechanic go browse and do some eyeball engineering. There are so many parts available that fab should be quite basic.

I'm not sidecar frame smart since I don't own one but hack owners can supply that info including how to design the hack spindle mount for easy alignment. (If you used a suitable front wheel drive car spindle they're plenty tough and can be mounted to permit caster and camber adjustment. Tie rods are cheap.)
            Last edited by farmall; 12-15-2021, 4:29 PM.

Comment

• Goofin
              • Jun 2014

after taking the time to talk with other owners and looking at the cheaper units available, i found Freedom sidecars about a hour north of me.
              Claude and i sat down at his shop and showed me what he had to offer. His Freedom Outback sidecar will be modified with extra grab rails si she will be able to have multiple points of contact to get in and out. Aluminum cab body, 1/4 inch die stamped frame. torsion bar axle.
              suzuki will get a subframe built for attachment. we have a wheelchair rack, car battery conversion and led lights. ill run a 15 inch car tire on the hack and will switch the suzuki rear to one as well. rake and trail is just shy of the sweet spot and ill run wider bars

Comment

• 10scDust
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Goofin
                after taking the time to talk with other owners and looking at the cheaper units available, i found Freedom sidecars about a hour north of me.
                Claude and i sat down at his shop and showed me what he had to offer. His Freedom Outback sidecar will be modified with extra grab rails si she will be able to have multiple points of contact to get in and out. Aluminum cab body, 1/4 inch die stamped frame. torsion bar axle.
                suzuki will get a subframe built for attachment. we have a wheelchair rack, car battery conversion and led lights. ill run a 15 inch car tire on the hack and will switch the suzuki rear to one as well. rake and trail is just shy of the sweet spot and ill run wider bars
                Where there's a will, there's a way.
                Good deal!

Comment

• confab
                  • May 2019

I am awed reading this thread.

You are true bikers, and it is incredibly humbling to read about your plight.

I am thrilled you found a solution to your problem.

The best to you both.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;