Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • confab
    • May 2019

Linkert Questions.

45 bobber. Not a resto. No existing carb.

If you wanted a Linkert for such a thing, which model would you choose?

And then:

Any idea where to find one (New or used) for a decent price?

• DustyDave
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Cotten who is usually over on S&S Vintage Tech Forum is a Linkert & Schebler restorer and fountain of knowledge. Tell him what you are building and how you plan to use it. I'll bet he can tell you pezactly what you need. http://forum.sscycle.com/index.php He usually answers PMs. I've got his e mail address somewhere hollar ifn you needs it.
    I think the de-facto standard for a fairly stock WLA is a M88 with the adjustable main jet added and one of Cottens floats.
    Dusty
    Driving that train, high on cocaine
    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• flatman
      • Sep 2017

G, WL WLA, WR manifold?

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

Thanks for that.. AS it happens, I do remember seeing that guy talking about his floats once. The spelling of the name reminded me.

And no manifold at the moment. Hers is a basket.

I have one on mine I might give her. It's a G Motor. Three bolt.

Comment

• DustyDave
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

You want the bigger manifold the Trike manifold and carb were kind of subpar for Meter Maid work much less a bobber. I'll dig through my junk, I think I have one in my swap meet stuff if I didn't sell it.
          Dusty
          Driving that train, high on cocaine
          Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
          Trouble ahead, trouble behind
          And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• confab
            • May 2019

Oh, cool.. Thanks!

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by confab
              Any idea where to find one (New or used) for a decent price?

No such thing these days......... Well it depends on what you call a decent price..........

Comment

• tzienlee
                • Apr 2024

no help here sorry,
                but back in about 1979 I bought a brand new ex army M88 still wrapped in the cosmoline for £25, then ($50),
                he had a couple of crates of them, probably 50 in a case, it was a case of 'take ya pick' !!
                the seller Iain Cotterel, had recovered loads of nos 45, jeep & halftrack spares from an old bulldozed & burried, US engineers depot in Weymouth Devon England,
                the depot was full of all they couldn't carry over on the Normandy landings & had to leave behind,
                It was in an old quarry & he got to dig it all out before the site was developed,
                he had loads of 45 parts real cheap, sadly them there days are no longer...
                but it's a sure bet that there are more 45's & 45 parts in Europe & might be a place to look online for

Comment

• confab
                  • May 2019

Well it depends on what you call a decent price....
                  I dunno? I know I don't have a problem finding them for six and seven hundred? But it isn't a deal breaker if I don't get one.

We're getting ready for this twin 45 bobber project this winter, and the Mrs. likes them from an aesthetic standpoint. She thinks the red brass is pretty.

Mine will get a Mikuni. But if I could find one affordably enough we'd pick it up for hers.

And yeah, I've heard about the glut of 45 stuff in Europe. I see their websites, but I dunno about shipping and customs and what it would all cost by the time it was through? Or if it would even be worth it after going through all that?

The place is awesome for old Harleys and parts, though. The biker culture there looks kick ass.

We subscribe to a a magazine from Germany, just for the cool old, real, bikes they feature and you just don't see here?

Comment

• tzienlee
                    • Apr 2024

there was a fella in New York by the name David Sarifan or Sarafan or the like, who used to do a lot of ex army 45 parts,
                    he might be worth looking up if he's still going, he used to have everything ya need for a lot of us vehicles form the 40's

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

I dunno? I know I don't have a problem finding them for six and seven hundred? But it isn't a deal breaker if I don't get one.

That's high to me so you will have no problems at all.......... I like a Mikuni much better myself for your application.......

Comment

• confab
                        • May 2019

I agree, a Mikuni is a better carb.. But she wants it because it's pretty and because it's old.

Problem solved! Messaged the guy we got her motor from on FB and asked him about a carb or what happened to the carb that was on the engine we bought. He said he still had it on a shelf.

He just lives about 40 minutes down the road from us.

Got her a Linkert M18 and manifold for $400 bucks.

Seemed like a fair deal, considering the prices I see everywhere?

Woot..

Comment

• confab
                          • May 2019

He had some cute little 45 drag pipes, a James top end gasket set and a duo light she liked too.. So, we picked them up.

Pretty good little haul!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;