Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tzienlee
    • Apr 2024

45's also used the sprocket shaft oil slinger,
    I have had 3 45's & a 45 Magnum all with open belt drives & was surprised at how little oil ever came out,
    the scroll slinger worked real well & so simply, after a 50 mile run it might drop 2 or 3 drips but no more,

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
      Yep and didn't 65 still have a rear chain oiler on some models???? So it was still a loss system.........
      It was even later than that before they had a return line to the oil tank.......... I plugged mine on my 79 FXS because I didn't want all of that junk going back into the motor..........
      Return from primary to motor, the aluminum primary system, started in '65. The rear chain oilers went into the '80s.

None of the pans or knuckles had what is commonly called a "total loss" system. They all had oil returned from the motor to the oil tank.

But, for the tin primaries, the (metered) primary chain oil could be considered total loss, because it was either directed to the rear chain and/or just ran out of the primary onto the road. Or onto the guy riding behind you.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
        Return from primary to motor, the aluminum primary system, started in '65. The rear chain oilers went into the '80s.

None of the pans or knuckles had what is commonly called a "total loss" system. They all had oil returned from the motor to the oil tank.

But, for the tin primaries, the (metered) primary chain oil could be considered total loss, because it was either directed to the rear chain and/or just ran out of the primary onto the road. Or onto the guy riding behind you.

Jim
        I read it years ago somewhere and they called it a 100% loss system and it made sense to me because it is when you think about it..... If a bike has a rear chain and or primary chain oiler it's a 100% loss system..... Don't add oil and see what happens......
        Last edited by Tattooo; 12-06-2021, 1:16 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Jim
          Really???? How did the oil get back to the motor in 65 from the primary?????
          Last edited by Tattooo; 12-06-2021, 1:14 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

They all had oil returned from the motor to the oil tank.
            Jim

LOL No kidding .......... LOL

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Dragstews
              Me too ....

Tomorrow will pull one from stock...

You have the wrong key ..

It's the shorter key (Top key in photo)
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
                You have the wrong key ..

It's the shorter key (Top key in photo)
                You are the man Jesse.........

Yep just as I thought......... And cutting down the one he has won't work......... It's totally different.......

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

Really???? How did the oil get back to the motor in 65 from the primary?????
                  Same as with all the aluminum primary pans and shovels. Oil line from the rear lower part of the inner primary to a fitting on the motor. From that fitting a passage goes to the breather gear, and the breather gear pulls the return oil out of the primary. How can you not know this? You have one of these shovels (and a mighty nice one if the pics do it justice). The same system was used from '65 to '84, and even carried over to the early FXRs and FLTs.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Same as with all the aluminum primary pans and shovels. Oil line from the rear lower part of the inner primary to a fitting on the motor. From that fitting a passage goes to the breather gear, and the breather gear pulls the return oil out of the primary. How can you not know this? You have one of these shovels (and a mighty nice one if the pics do it justice). The same system was used from '65 to '84, and even carried over to the early FXRs and FLTs.

Jim
                    Not on the Pre AMF ones that I have seen........
                    Last edited by Tattooo; 12-06-2021, 4:15 PM.

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

Nope not on a 65 to 69 you are wrong you need to look at the manual better............. The ONLY fitting on a 65 was to the chain oiler.....
                      Dude I build these old motors regularly. I don't need to "look in the manual." I'm up close & personal with 'em, and I have my greasy paws on them all the time. You need to read your manual a little closer, and better yet, find one of those old scoots that is still stock and look at how it's set up. Jesus wept.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Dude I build these old motors regularly. I don't need to "look in the manual." I'm up close & personal with 'em, and I have my greasy paws on them all the time. You need to read your manual a little closer, and better yet, find one of those old scoots that is still stock and look at how it's set up. Jesus wept.

Jim
                        I have never seen a pre AMF one with the hose intact..... Many don't even have the indention hole drilled. The Pre AMF primary is nothing like the later AMF models where there is hoses running everywhere.......

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Wasn't that more of a vent to equalize the pressure in the primary??????? Not like what it was used for later?????

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Dude I build these old motors regularly.

Jim
                            LOL I understand that but you missed the keyway size ........ We all make mistakes sometimes......

Comment

• JBinNC
                              • Dec 2018

LOL I understand that but you missed the keyway size ........ We all make mistakes sometimes......
                              Yes, and I can be gracious when I make a mistake, and I even corrected my own mistake. But sadly, you will hang onto your mistakes like grim death. I've wasted enough time with this nonsense.

Later,
                              Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                                • Sep 2010

There are ways to run a sealed primary ...
                                The factory design sucks ... (Pun intended)
                                By blocking all the holes off and a nice kit from James Gaskets ..

You have just turned that part of a 65-69 scooter into an EVO .. !!

Last edited by Dragstews; 12-06-2021, 5:04 PM.
                                Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;