CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Banks Engine Lift?

I ain't getting any younger, and I'm starting a build with a heavy-ass knucklehead - so am glancing askance at the Banks Engine Lift.

https://banksbrothersmotorcycles.com/engine-lift/

Besides calling me a pussy for not just lifting the hunk of all-American iron like a man - anybody else ever use one of these?

kestrou

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like a great idea to me...... How much are they????? I looked around but I didn't see how much it was..... Ok I found it..... It's $1100.....

Yeah, not cheap… but compared to having back problems or dropping an engine, I think it’s a bargain!

kestrou

Just throwing this out, what about a hydraulic engine hoist or a automatic transmission jack?

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks good.. I used a two post car lift and a strap, though. Worked fine.

So, there are ways for less $$$ if you want.

Also, if you want to do this on a lift table, make sure the legs will clear, first. It won't work on mine for that reason.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by kestrou View Post
    I ain't getting any younger, and I'm starting a build with a heavy-ass knucklehead - so am glancing askance at the Banks Engine Lift.

https://banksbrothersmotorcycles.com/engine-lift/

Besides calling me a pussy for not just lifting the hunk of all-American iron like a man - anybody else ever use one of these?

kestrou
    LOL, not calling you a pussy, I always been told: Work smarter, not harder!
    I have not used one of this type, I improvised a way with soft straps, but my little shop has a bridge trolley for my chain hoist. It's only a pain holding the lift chain out of the way while pulling it through the hoist.

Get Adobe Flash player

What a pussy, not just lifting the hunk of all-American iron like a man. Haha but seriously fucking up your back is a one way ticket to shit-ville real fast, dumbasses who don’t realize that are still just rolling the dice. It’s a cool looking lift but at $1100 I couldn’t justify it based on how often I would use it. I’ve been using a craftsman motorcycle jack or 2-ton engine hoist properly rigged for automotive transmissions and motorcycle engines for close to a decade now and it has served me well. Farmall will probably chime in, from his posts the man is a rigging master and would likely have some much more sound advice. Shit if I wasn’t all the way up in far northern IL I’d just swing over and help ya move it. Best of luck

Get Adobe Flash player

personally the lift looks flimsy where the arms come out to 'grab' the motor,
    & the way it 'grabs' the motor is a bit sketchy in my eyes as well,
    seeing that big twins pre 84, (& some post 84), simply sit on the frame mounts,
    I find it easy & a hell of a lot cheaper to build the motor on a small wheeled bench, then move it to the bike lift, raise the lift till level with the motor & simply slide them into the frame,
    or you can get scissor table lift, new a lot cheaper than $1100 or cheper if ya ebay a used one like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600 (7).jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, thats nice but really expensive for what it is... If you were running a shop and doing a lot of installs it might be worth it. Why not rig up an A-frame of sorts, and just use a chain fall or come along? They work well and are a LOT cheaper. Not to mention having to store a big contraption that will get used once in a blue moon.

Or maybe an auto engine picker if you don't mind storing it... You can pick those up for a couple hundred bucks.

Get Adobe Flash player

I always put the engine on its side on some blocks to level it, then laid the frame over the engine hung a few bolts then tilted it upright. Made it way easier to avoid scratches and chips and back damage. This looks like it's way easier. If I still did bikes that had real frames I think I would spring for one.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDave View Post
    I always put the engine on its side on some blocks to level it, then laid the frame over the engine hung a few bolts then tilted it upright. Made it way easier to avoid scratches and chips and back damage. This looks like it's way easier. If I still did bikes that had real frames I think I would spring for one.
    Dusty
    That's a good idea! And cheap too. I found a pic of a 'picker' that someone built, not sure who it was, but could be used as a basis for a good picker to use with a come along or chain fall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motor_picker_3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	107032

Get Adobe Flash player

When lifting a motor out of a frame, I have a rolling small table with locking wheels right beside the bike..... So when I lift a motor out I just step to the right and set it on a engine stand.... No bending over is needed....... Just one motion........ I've never had any problems...........

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    personally the lift looks flimsy where the arms come out to 'grab' the motor,
    & the way it 'grabs' the motor is a bit sketchy in my eyes as well,
    seeing that big twins pre 84, (& some post 84), simply sit on the frame mounts,
    I find it easy & a hell of a lot cheaper to build the motor on a small wheeled bench, then move it to the bike lift, raise the lift till level with the motor & simply slide them into the frame,
    or you can get scissor table lift, new a lot cheaper than $1100 or cheper if ya ebay a used one like this...
    I’m liking this plan…

I just build for myself so not more than an engine every other year and storage of big single-use tools is always a problem… a table like that is something I might come up with other uses for - thanks!

kestrou

Get Adobe Flash player

Anymore all I build Is Sport Scouts. So I set the engine in a chair and bolt the front frame section on.

Then the rear section, forks and etc. etc.

And it doesn't hurt my back at all to watch the friends I invited over to have a drink and see it on it's wheels take it off the chair

Dusty

Day-um Dusty - I need to change what I'm building - that works suh-weeeeet!

kestrou

Do a search. Farmall had some great use from a people lifter from a hospital (I think)

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    ..or you can get scissor table lift, new a lot cheaper than $1100 or cheper if ya ebay a used one like this...
    PS:

Harbor Freight has those ^^^ for relatively cheap..

Looks like it would work slick.

Share This