Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaNaDiAnNuTcAsE
    • Dec 2021

Lets start something cool together

Hi I have been working on and building motorcycles since I was 16 years old.
    It started for me trading half a 6 pack and a pack of cigarettes for a dead 81 GT80 and stripped out 82 DS80 at a campsite in the woods from a guy who lived there. I have now owned a total of 76 motorcycles in my life. Only 3 of them ran when I bought them. A lack of money and my will to ride has taught me how to fix almost every problem you could imagine on a bike.

This ended two and a half years ago when I committed a crime do to mental health and addictions problems. I have now gone over two years 100% sober and wish to start building bikes again. My current situation sucks, but is probably going to get better soon.

What I would like to do with help and hopefully with other builders in other locations is create a sort of publicly funded group. The whole idea would be to use GoFundMe to collect money to buy bikes build them on Youtube, ride them for 1 to 3 months maximum (to prove reliability) and have the group members decide on a person to give that bike to. All funds in the account would be used for purchase and parts only and every dollar documented. Me and other chosen mechanics (if people want to do this) would be donating the time and labor to the project. In exchange for the short window of riding and testing the bike and been able to give that bike to the deserving and chosen new owner.

Me and any other builder would sign a legally binding contract to ensure no financial gain our use of funds for anything but the bike.

I want to build bikes again, and helping other people get back riding would be fucking awesome.

No GoFundMe has been started. I will not do that until I have people on board and some kind of contract setup. I will be posting this in a few places

In the spirit of transparency my name is Joseph McArthur Pereira email [email protected]

This is me and those first two bikes.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	my first bikes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1347606
  • CaNaDiAnNuTcAsE
    • Dec 2021

Also no GoFundme will be created until some people decide this is a good idea and absolutely no donations will be taken until people get behind this and some sort of contract or agreement is created

Comment

• CaNaDiAnNuTcAsE
      • Dec 2021

I'm just going to put this out there. If people do get behind this I have 0 problem not actually being the one buying and fixing the bikes. If people want to get involved they can decide on another person doing the buying and repairs. The idea here is to find old cheap bikes and make them roadworthy and find someone who wants to ride but cant afford it and give them a bike. If I can be a part of that I'm happy. All decisions would be voted on.

Comment

• EVILBLACKSABRE
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by CaNaDiAnNuTcAsE
        I'm just going to put this out there. If people do get behind this I have 0 problem not actually being the one buying and fixing the bikes. If people want to get involved they can decide on another person doing the buying and repairs. The idea here is to find old cheap bikes and make them roadworthy and find someone who wants to ride but cant afford it and give them a bike. If I can be a part of that I'm happy. All decisions would be voted on.
        I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe your heart is in the right place. But I don't think your idea is a practical one.

A few possible issues and complications that occur to me are-

Getting a title for the bike.

Getting old bikes running can be very expensive, difficult, if not impossible (hard to get parts).

If a person can't afford a bike, how are they going to afford gas, registration, insurance, maintenance, tools, helmet?

And then there's the question of how do you determine who gets the bike? How do you verify their lack of money, and who does the verifying? And what's to stop the recipient from selling the bike the day after they get it?

You're asking people to donate money in a time when scams and scammers are abundant. There is no shortage of people willing to lie to get free stuff. And if just one person in the process did something shady it would all turn to shit. And when there's money involved, changing hands between strangers, there is a good chance of it turning to shit.

I think it's a non-starter.
        Last edited by EVILBLACKSABRE; 12-06-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• Down
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Sugarcubes
          soooo you want others to buy you the parts to build your motorcycles? Dusty is that you lol
          Oh my lawd, I had forgotten about Dusty. Fuck that guy.
          OP, this seems like a super fishy idea. Why not do something good instead and just donate all the money to me? I want more bikes and loads more beer.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

My current situation sucks, but is probably going to get better soon.
            MAKE it better if you want it better.

Self-mastery, self-discipline, self-control, organization and implacable determination are choices so choose them.

If you're any good go work for an indy shop and get paid then do whatever instead of overthinking shit. Spare time is best devoted to the (vast) array of activities which enhance your personal economic security (make money, buy property however humble it may be, build it wisely).

People who so thoroughly fuck their lives they can't even manage a moped don't NEED a motorcycle, they need extremely minimal transport at most and given anything better would promptly sell it for money to continue being shitbags. I don't waste time, effort or money on shitbags because ya cannot ever, ever fix other people. You can only fix yourself so do the smart thing. Your life, your call.

The best thing to do with (the vast majority of) fucked motorcycles is not get them running but part them out for a profit, and the smart adult choice (until you're genuinely financially comfortable by the numbers not feelings, feelings are to be mastered) is do that. The truly dedicated WILL ride and the rest don't deserve to. Neither is your problem.

Sort your own life out thoroughly and in carefully measured, methodically planned meticulous detail as you have catching up to do. There is no space for Silly Shit so shoot your inner child in the face (said inner child is what did the damage in the first place) and coldly get your shit wired tight and right.

If you can spin wrenches go get paid and if you have enough spare time to piss away on foo-foo shit then you can spend (time is money, money confers choices you don't have with less money) that time improving YOUR life. Old age hits early and hard and the quality of your life depends on how seriously you prepare for adversity.
            One way to make wise choices is MEASURE their likely impact on your life. The metric is money.

If you want to give back, get your shit super together then mentor newer mechanics. That helps the worthy (if they're not worthy they swiftly quit) who self-select to be that.

BTW adult education in a field your mechanical skills complement and which is not concerned much with past crimes is a very good idea; My HVACbro makes bank running his own business (two trucks, one's a spare, and a few grand in tools/equipment) fixing only commercial equipment for (mostly) small package stores whose owners refuse to replace old chillers which guarantees him a steady income from emergency calls (the stores can't NOT pay or they lose thousands in stock and more in profit). See community college and trade school financial aid offices as they're experts and every student-customer helps pay their wages. Most low income folks can attend school for basically free.

I won't say "good luck" because luck has fuck all to do with it.
            Last edited by farmall; 12-09-2021, 2:04 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;