CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Home Build Title in Illinois - solved!

Inspired by this thread http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32304 - wanted to recap how I “beat the system” getting my home build titled, in hopes it helps the next guy…

I did quite a bit of research before starting the build on the physical/mechanical requirements, then did a ground up build on a new PaughCo frame with the end result bike having no turn signals, gas gauge, odometer or speedometer - it did have tail lights, brake lights, headlight and horn.

When the Illinois State Police came by to inspect, his checklist included turn signals and odometer so he wouldn’t pass it. I explained that those weren’t required in the list and that Illinois state law even specifically says - (625 ILCS 5/12-208) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-208) (e) Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles need not be equipped with electric turn signals.

At that point he said he had to call his supervisor and stepped outside. When he came back he gave me his supervisor’s phone number and said I needed to speak with him directly.

Called and the supervisor said I had two options - either put turn signals and odometer on and get it passed, or they fail it and then I appeal that decision to an arbitration board (which he said he expected to uphold the failure) and then file a lawsuit against the state so a judge would order the title (which he said he HAS seen work, but would be about a year and several thousand dollars).

Well, me being a cantankerous old man I told him to fail it because this was bullshit!

Once I got the “failure” report in the mail a few weeks later, I started the appeal process to the arbitration board - AND THEY RESPONDED WITH A TITLE!

So, take heart - you can beat the system - just don’t back down and was easier than I thought it would be!

kestrou

Good for you... seriously!

Doesn't sound like you beat the system so much as you just didn't let the state patrol take it upon themselves to decide they were above it.

Don't know about today, but in my state the routine was to take it to highway patrol troop headquarters for the inspection. There was one particular troop that was known for being nothing but a box of cocksicles, insisting on things that weren't required and then denying title.

The year I titled my last build, I knew several people denied by said troop. I loaded the bike in the pickup, drove to HP headquarters at the state capitol and didn't have any issues.

Congrats! I always like to see normal people triumph over bureaucrats

Quote Originally Posted by FMC1 View Post
    Congrats! I always like to see normal people triumph over bureaucrats
    It's always gratifying when you can tell some egotistical bureaucrat to shove it up their ass

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well done sir

Hell yeah, this is such a nanny state we live in.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey @kestrou I've got a question for you. I bought a 73 yamaha off a guy with a bill of sale only. The license plate sticker was from 89 so I feel pretty confident in my ability to get this bike in my name. I'm asking you cause I live in Chicago and I'm wondering where I should even try to start in order to claim a lost title?

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisQuanbeck View Post
    Hey @kestrou I've got a question for you. I bought a 73 yamaha off a guy with a bill of sale only. The license plate sticker was from 89 so I feel pretty confident in my ability to get this bike in my name. I'm asking you cause I live in Chicago and I'm wondering where I should even try to start in order to claim a lost title?
    Brother, I’d help you if I can - but the Illinois legal gauntlet I’m familiar with is how to title a home build.

If you’ve got a plated bike then, fingers crossed, the secretary of state should be able to tell you who holds title to the vehicle (if their records go back 30+ years), but then that title holder just might say that’s their bike…

I always tell friends that if they buy a bike without a title then they haven’t bought a bike, they’ve bought parts…

Best of luck - sincerely!

kestrou

Share This