CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Dyna s ignition

Default Dyna s ignition

Iím running a S&S hi4n ignition with a S&s 3 ohm coil. Single fire, kick only 81 fxe.(ripped the electric start out). I want to change ignitition to a dynatek s single fire ignition and it says you should use 5 ohm coil. Iím trying to find a single housed coil that is 5 ohm. Has anyone done this? Will my 3 ohm coil work?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68D568A9-ADD6-45CD-985C-19003B15125D.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	106439

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you choose a Dyna S, DS6-1, that is the dual fire version and Dyna offers a 5 ohm coil for that. Andrews offers a 4.7 ohm coil that works well, too.

If you choose the Dyna S, DS6-2, single fire module, you really need two 5 ohm coils for best life. You can use your existing 2-in-1 mini coil, but both coil and module life will suffer. That is because there is no dwell control built into the Dyna S.

I believe Daytona TwinTec offers a pickup that utilizes the mechanical advance unit, and includes dwell control. But, I don't know for sure, and I don't know how TwinTec is doing these days as far as quality control goes. They were very good in past days, with the original personnel.

Jim

I have looked at those dyna single 5 ohm coils. How do you mount those coils?

Get Adobe Flash player

If you want to stick to single fire, you can find some mounts available for two of the Jap pattern Dyna coils. Whether those mounts will, in turn, fit your chassis, will be a matter of trial and error.

For a clean install, I would go with the dual fire and one 5 ohm coil. I doubt you would be able to tell ANY difference in the way the motor runs.

Jim

Won’t have any problems with just kickstart with dual fire setup?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJed View Post
    Won’t have any problems with just kickstart with dual fire setup?
    Been working OK for 100 years, so I think you will be fine.

Jim

Cool! Just ordered one! Thanks for your help!

Share This