CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Ironhead Lunchbox oil tank questions

Im considering running a lunchbox tank on a Evo hardtail frame. Call me crazy but i think it might be kinda neat.

Anyway....

I would like the know the dimensions. Height, width and so on. I also need to know the total measurements with "flange" included.

Also, there are some obvious differences between magneto pre-70's tanks and post 1970 tanks. More specifically the locations for feed,return, vent lines. So if anyone could point me in the right direction. Im leaning towards post 1970 due to location of fittings being on bottom of tank.

Get Adobe Flash player

Technical: Oil Tanks

XLCH 1966 - 1969 and beyond

The “Lunch Box” oil tank was used on the XLCH models from 1966 through the later 1970s.

The 62508-66 tank was used from 1966 through 1969. It has four oil line connections. The filler cap/dipstick is threaded. The lower bracket to engine mounting uses standoffs (#65). The lower bracket to tank mounting uses springs (#35). 1968 and 1969 used two trim pieces (#47) and springs (#50), which are shown in the -70 illustration.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HAR_6669-72-300x240.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	106396

The 62508-70 tank was used from 1970 through early 1973. The Parts Catalog illustration is poorly drawn - see the “Differences” photo to see what the top flange actually looked like. The tank has three oil line connections. The filler cap/dipstick is push-in. The tank is rigidly mounted, no standoffs or springs were used. The trim pieces (#47) and springs (#50) were not used in 1970 or later. The upper mounting bracket changed in 1972, and there were some other small changes at the same time. See a 1976-era Parts Catalog for details.

Name:	HAR_7071-72-300x240.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	106397

The 62508-73 tank was used from late 1973 through 1976 and later. The Parts Catalog illustration is poorly drawn - see the “Differences” photo to see what the top flange actually looked like. The only difference between the -70 and -73 tanks is the notch in the top flange. This was due to a mid-year change in the frame where the oil tank mounts. The tank has three oil line connections. The filler cap/dipstick is push-in. See a 1976-era Parts Catalog for details on the mounting brackets.

Name:	HAR_7376-72-300x240.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	106398

follow link below for photos of oil/vent line fittings plus upper mounting flange change in '73
    https://www.harleykmodel.com/technic...nks/index.html

XLCH 'lunchbox' oil tank question
    http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=806891

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1417969

Name:	sidemock.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	106395

Get Adobe Flash player

Check Ebay for photos since that's the place where ya get pics from all directions. It would be smart to shock mount the oil tank to avoid cracking and you can get a variety of shock mounts (like Barry mounts) besides the HD parts. Bottom mount should be loaded in compression, not shear and since you get to make the brackets you get to choose where they go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVI...sAAMXQXTZRe0Tp

Get Adobe Flash player

TNc, thank you for the info.

I will search for dimensions.

Get Adobe Flash player

9" tall, 9" across and 4.5 wide ..

Share This