Weird springer (another springer ID thread)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sadist69
    • Aug 2021

Weird springer (another springer ID thread)

Hello friends and enemies! I need some help with identifying this old springer that I put on my bike. First I thought it looked like an AEE or perhaps a Columbus, but there are no tags what so ever and all the measurements are strange. Like 30 mm steering stem that I had to turn down to 2,5 mm (1") to fit, as well as the front axle being 17mm, slightly larger than the more common 5/8. The rockers are without any bushings, all nuts are pointy and also notice the offset "front legs part" if you compare the horisontal line of the "front part" and the "back part", sorry dont know what it is called in English. Almost like the bottom springs are too short. I kind of like it though and I got it dirt cheap even though it is in an overall good condition. Swapped out my DNA springer for this, so I suppose it was a trading up nevertheless. Cheers from sWEEDen 😉
    Attached Files
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Nice. I know this springer as I tried to identify it before... maybe on a facebook page... I see what you mean by "offset"; the front legs are longer making the lower spring perch higher than the lower triple tree. Crescent rockers are like Columbus and AEE, but that lower pivot connection on the bottom of the front legs and that 'notch' by the front of the rear leg of the upper one-piece top tree/upper spring perch is a unique feature. The larger metric size neck and axle are just adaptations to make it fit the previous bike and wheel...maybe it was on a trike.
    my first guess was AEE, but they have the neck offset from the rear legs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEE square springer, chopper guide, fall 1971.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1321276

can ask here:
    Springers, Girders & Hardtails
    Anything related to springers, girders hardtails and the general alternate motorcycle lifestyle. If it's cool and has a connection post it, discuss it, cuss it or love it. No bullshit or disrespect...

and look here. springer ID thread:
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
    Working...
    ;