CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    aswarola8

Default Affordable American-made Bikes?

I know, I know affordable is all relative but: What is the least expensive (new) American-made bike? I feel like the starting area for frames is well over $2000.

Also, how much of a complete bike could one build from American made products? ...probably have to throw cost out of the window here.https://100001.onl/ https://1921681254.mx/
    Last edited by aswarola8; 09-20-2020 at 2:50 AM.

Are they still repoping the Mustang down in Cal? Is the ridley still around?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Watch the local Craigslist or paper like a hawk. I noticed an ironhead sporty for $1,800 near Chicago.

They are out there if you can work on em.

Edit: MIssed the new part, never mind...
    Last edited by DoomBuggy; 09-20-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

American made, new and cheap don't go together as the US through decades of relentless stupidity permanently ceded the small displacement market. There being no advantage to buying new vs. low mileage used it's best to buy used. (The second a MSO is turned in to get title, a vehicle is "used".) Used skips taxes, "doc fees" (a bullshit invention by HD to charge for signing the same papers for any new purchase. Buying new vehicles is generally a poor financial choice unless you keep them indefinitely so cost per year becomes trivial, and to be worth keeping indefinitely the vehicle should be one with a very long specific drivetrain lifetime and large aftermarket.

The most effective way to buy American (meaning put your money into worker pockets, not rich elites) is via American-made aftermarket parts which support small businesses whose specialty products keep old HDs on the road. The aftermarket is the best (practical) reason to own a Harley.

At entry level Japan make better motorcycles with many long lived (important for aftermarket support) product lines if getting the best motorcycle for your money instead of just buying a symbol is your goal. Never confuse the two, but buying a new one is a worse long term choice than buying a used HD because new cost for little Jap bikes exceeds used cost for used HDs.

Short easy answer, buy a used Evo or later Harley cheep and feed it American parts. Happiness ensues and you can keep it for the rest of your life. If money is tight enough to ask about the least expensive, you REALLY don't need a new motorcycle. Learn to wrench (worth more in itself than motorcycling) and the world is your yours.

Get Adobe Flash player

I saw a '70 sportster going for $700 just last week. Don't know if it had the title but it looked like a complete basket, play your cards right it you can still get deals.
    Last edited by seaking; 09-21-2020 at 6:34 AM.

Share This