CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Fuel injected chop?

So I have a 2010 triumph America being 2010 shes the EFI model, I bought her as a bobber project with plans to go more of the chopper route, currently shes got a triumph Bonneville tank on right now that has the fuel pump etc built in, now id like to change the tank into more of a mustang style. But I need either a tank that that I can put the existing fuel pump in or another fuel pump that I can fit somewhere else. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Much appreciated 🤟🏻🤙🏻

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Gonna be a fabrication job, unless you use a existing Harley tank with EFI, often the motor wont know its a Harley vs jap vs Euro fuel pump, all it knows is pressure and volume.

Otherwise you will have to modify a tank to take the pump. One alternative, a bit complicated but might suit you. You CAN make an intermediary pump housing. Run a free flowing supply line to a hidden small tank, run the pump in that. The issue is the pump can easily cavitate if the supply is not excellent. Thats the advantage of a pump inside the main tank.

* MOST EFI dont do well if you run them low on fuel or out, try to avoid that to prevent fuel pump damage and injectors, as they dont like air, or running dry, just like a diesel. *Saying that I ran my tractor out the other day and what a PIA to bleed the system and get it running

Doug is pretty much spot on, but here is some more info

I've been into aftermarket EFI systems and homemade EFI systems now for classic cars for about 10 years. I have put them in tanks that were never made for them, as well as using fuel pumps that weren't inside the tank ......I even made my own FI system to power my Gyrocopter from parts sourced from Autozone/Pepboys/NAPA. Gas tank was a $100 fuel cell from Summit racing. And believe me, my system works. You just cant pull over to fix a fuel delivery problem when flying

Here's some options:

1. You want to use your stock FI pump in another tank: As long as you can get the pump in, you are good to go. Be aware, some OEM systems also have the fuel pressure regulator in the tank, so this may make the fit even tighter

The pick-up hose that sucks the gas in has to be in the lowest area of the tank. You don't want it moving around, sucking up against the bottom or side of the tank. or sucking air when you accelerate hard: Obstructions to the suck end or air sucking in will destroy a FI fuel pump pretty quick. And OEM pumps ain't cheap

Also, FI pumps are really pushers, not suckers: Again, the pickup the hose needs to be stationary and at the lowest point of the fuel supply source: GRAVITY is your friend

ALWAYS run a fuel filter on the suck and push side of the fuel pump. It's to protect both the pump and injectors
    NOTE: Aftermarket FI systems for cars really need both filters: But I believe most FI bikes only have one on the suck side. IN THE LEAST, run a filter on the suck side: Dirt and particulates will ruin a FI pump and injectors pretty quick

2. Running a FI pump outside the tank:
    It don't matter where you place the pump as long as it is below the fuel supply. Again, FI pumps are pushers more than suckers. Its easy to burn one out that is struggling to get fuel to the pump. IF YOU GO this route finding an out of tank pump is easy: Go to jegs or summit racing and look for a universal 12v FI pump that has the same PSI rating as the one you now have.

In tank FI pumps and outside tank pumps are just that. DO NOT RUN A MADE FOR OUTSIDE PUMP in a tank, and vice versa

Tips:
    -ALWAYS run fuel hoses that are made for FI. FI runs high pressure: FI fuel lines are available all day long in any auto parts store by the foot. Regular black fuel lines look the same as FI lines (except for the print on the outside): Don't get them crossed or get cheap here. FI lines are more expensive that regular fuel lines: Run the same inner diameter fuel lines as you have now

-Use GOOD and new hose clamps

-FI systems require a good plus 12v to work: A constant 12.8v when running is paramount

-YOU MUST HAVE A VENT line that vents pressure into the atmosphere from your gas tank. High pressure builds up immediately when you turn the fuel system on and as it runs (This is why you need fuel lines rated for FI). An aftermarket gas cap that is vented may solve this, but be sure it is vented enough to run the system: If not, you will have to install some sort of vent nipple very high on the tank (to vent the pressure)

NOTE: Some FI system have a return line, some don't. Whichever kind you have, run a return line if required. (Return less systems are nice as it cut downs on bulky fuel lines by half

The prob with running a basically OEM FI system with another tank: If you haven't figured it out yet, you can toss the stock tank, and just run an outside aftermarket fuel pump (around $75-125) mounted somewhere on your frame (with the tips above) and you are good to go, but ith one more thing to consider: You have to have fuel pressure regulator: That's easy: Get an adjustable one from JEGS/Summit racing (about $25-$75) that is adjustable to the range that is required for your system. It can mount on your frame as well. Mount the pressure regulator on the PUSH side. Run a fuel filter before the fuel pump

The only other prob is bulkiness of the fuel lines, outside FI pump a FI fuel pressure regulator: They are somewhat bulky and a little hard to hide. Wiring can get a little bulky as well

Let us know how the build goes

Share This