Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShovelheadChris
    • Jun 2021

Horseshoe oil tank for swingarm shovelhead

I'm looking for a horseshoe oil tank for my shovelhead build. I'm putting a 1979 FXS-80 motor with cow pie transmission in a Paughco swingarm frame. If any one could give me any ideas of what oil tank will fit, I would appreciate it. It is going to be kick only. I'm running a 1 1/2 inch belt drive open primary. I would like to use a side fill tank, but that's not a deal breaker.

Thanks for any help

Chris
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ShovelheadChris
    I'm looking for a horseshoe oil tank for my shovelhead build. I'm putting a 1979 FXS-80 motor with cow pie transmission in a Paughco swingarm frame. If any one could give me any ideas of what oil tank will fit, I would appreciate it. It is going to be kick only. I'm running a 1 1/2 inch belt drive open primary. I would like to use a side fill tank, but that's not a deal breaker.

Thanks for any help

Chris
    I believe it's going to be a tight fit. The best thing I can suggest is to mock it up and do some measurements before you buy anything........

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
      • Jan 2015

Screenshot-20211125-192204-Chrome
      Screenshot-20211125-192347-Chrome

Comment

• ShovelheadChris
        • Jun 2021

If any one else is looking or interested, V-Twin Cycles Part number 40-0408 is the horseshoe tank that will fit a stock shovelhead swing arm frame with electric start.

I put it in a Paughco drop seat swing arm frame with a drop seat, no starter, with a rotary top transmission. It needs the extra room the front mounting bracket gives it to match the angle of the drop seat, and to clear the transmission.

Chris

Comment

• hacksaw
          • Dec 2009

do they ever make these in bare metal ?

Comment

• docmel
            • May 2015

The tank shown, if it has a oil filter mount could be the way to go (Price?).

I had one like that decades ago and it would always have a slight leak where the oil filter mounts. Again, that was a long time ago, might have been a used oil tank

Comment

• ShovelheadChris
              • Jun 2021

Vital V-Twin offers a bare metal one, but I think it needs to be finish welded too. # 40-0491 $202. It says chrome oil tank, but the picture shows bare metal tac welded. The fill spot on this one is under the seat

The one I got, 40-0408 is $202 as well.

Chris
              Last edited by ShovelheadChris; 07-13-2023, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• ShovelheadChris
                • Jun 2021

The pictures above of the two oil tanks won't fit the mounting bracket on my frame. It's a Paughco swing arm frame, it's the S-147A frame.

I talked to Ian at Paughco after I received my frame, but they weren't making oil tanks at the time due to material shortages. Ian told me the tank for my frame was the Paughco #746E. It is the same tank I got from Vital V-Twin, only made by Paughco.

Chris
                Last edited by ShovelheadChris; 07-13-2023, 6:56 AM.

Comment

• ShovelheadChris
                  • Jun 2021

The two tanks pictured above are Paughco numbers 746GTF, and 746GT. The F is for filter, it's the one made into the tank.
                  Both of these tanks will bolt up to stock FL and FX frame mounts 1965-1986. They run around $600 from Paughco. I would give them a call and ask if they have any on the shelf, if not see if they are making tanks right now. If they're not, they can put you on a notification list and let you know when they are available.

Chris

Comment

• thecarfarmer
                    • Dec 2016

Good info to know; I'm working on a '76, and thinking about oil tank options

Comment

• ShovelheadChris
                      • Jun 2021

Originally posted by thecarfarmer
                      Good info to know; I'm working on a '76, and thinking about oil tank options
                      There are plenty of options to choose from. Almost too many.

Chris

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;