CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    JudahMyles

Default Panhead BDL belt drive issues?

Hey guys I have searched and searched and yet found anybody to share the same problem I'm having. I purchased a BDL belt drive for my STD panhead. This is my first bike and I tore it completely down to frame and motor and have rebuilt everything because the bike was a loose cannon. The engine has a s&s flywheel in it from what I can tell by the markings through the timing cover. Has a splined front shaft and tapered transmission shaft. I installed the belt drive along with an adjustable transmission plate. Torqued rear engine mounts, shimmed the front and torqued those down, mounted the trans plate and torqued it down, then the transmission was installed and I've ran a straight edge from the front pulley to the rear to check the belt tracking and I've adjusted it the best I can and still having issues with the belt hanging off the clutch drum about an 1/8". That's the closest I can get it, I've heard of guys having the belt rub the back of the basket but haven't seen anybody post about hanging off the basket. Any ideas what my problem could be? This is all mounted in a pre 70s paugcho frame with no signs of being tweaked or bent. Seems like the transmission is sitting 1/4" too far to the left in the frame. I've also made sure the clutch hub is going all the way on the shaft and isn't hanging on the key

Be sure the transmission is square in the frame, viewed from above, in other words not twisted on its mount plate. If that is good, shim the motor pulley out until the belt runs where you want it. Shimming the motor pulley or sprocket is a standard procedure for belt or chain primaries with splined motor shafts. There are shims in different thicknesses for that purpose.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JudahMyles View Post
    Hey guys I have searched and searched and yet found anybody to share the same problem I'm having. I purchased a BDL belt drive for my STD panhead. This is my first bike and I tore it completely down to frame and motor and have rebuilt everything because the bike was a loose cannon. The engine has a s&s flywheel in it from what I can tell by the markings through the timing cover. Has a splined front shaft and tapered transmission shaft. I installed the belt drive along with an adjustable transmission plate. Torqued rear engine mounts, shimmed the front and torqued those down, mounted the trans plate and torqued it down, then the transmission was installed and I've ran a straight edge from the front pulley to the rear to check the belt tracking and I've adjusted it the best I can and still having issues with the belt hanging off the clutch drum about an 1/8". That's the closest I can get it, I've heard of guys having the belt rub the back of the basket but haven't seen anybody post about hanging off the basket. Any ideas what my problem could be? This is all mounted in a pre 70s paugcho frame with no signs of being tweaked or bent. Seems like the transmission is sitting 1/4" too far to the left in the frame. I've also made sure the clutch hub is going all the way on the shaft and isn't hanging on the key
    Do you mean that the belt is hanging off 1/8" of an inch inwards toward the motor? If so, mine did the exact same thing. Under throttle the belt would move towards the outside (away from the motor) of both pulleys as it should but at idle it seemed to shift to the same position that you mention. the belt tracked completely straight it was just strange the way it seemed to sit so far in on the pulleys until throttle was applied.

I rectified this by using the BDL shim kit and a bit of trial and error adjusting how much shimming was needed behind the front pulley until it was correct. Its worth also checking your belt is the right size and not too loose?

Share This