Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toglhot
    • Nov 2021

Polishing.

I've done a lot of polishing over the last 50+ years, but this bike has gotten the lions share. Hard work considering the condition of the aluminium on the bike when I bought it.
    Attached Files
  • toglhot
    • Nov 2021

The rear hub was mounted on the lathe to true up the flanges and remove the casting bridges, then hit with a nylon fibre wheel and polished. Front hub was a little more difficult, but it came up a treat.
    Attached Files

Comment

• toglhot
      • Nov 2021

The lower fork sliders were badly damaged: Deep gouge marks, cracked and broken and out of round, I fixed them as best as I could, then removed the mudguard mounts and the left leg calliper mounts and polished them up.

I made the engine mounts, headlight brackets, side panels from all and polished them. Plus lots and lots of other parts.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by toglhot; 11-16-2021, 2:35 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

You do some really nice work.......... It looks like things I use to do..........

Comment

• DazedandConfused
          • Nov 2021

One of the most satisfying feelings in the world is making old oxidized aluminum gleam like it's chrome plated. Your efforts were not in vain. Those look GOOD!

Comment

• cdwillis
            • Dec 2018

Nice job on the polishing. I've been telling myself that I'm going to polish the cam and primary covers on my sporty over winter, but I'm pretty lazy. I've got some stainless steel 4 bends from Zombie that I'd like to polish up too.

Comment

• DazedandConfused
              • Nov 2021

Originally posted by cdwillis
              Nice job on the polishing. I've been telling myself that I'm going to polish the cam and primary covers on my sporty over winter, but I'm pretty lazy. I've got some stainless steel 4 bends from Zombie that I'd like to polish up too.
              Don't know what year your Sporty is, but you might want to proceed with caution. My experience with the ironhead aluminum covers was that they were very porous with a lot of "pockets" under the surface. Three different bikes from mid 70s - early 80s all gave consistent experience. Once the buffer hit the surface, little holes appeared, and those holes got bigger as I kept polishing. Never God awful, but I knew they were there.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;