CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default rotary top clutch help

ok so I got a shovelhead with a rotary top transmission, bdl 1.5 open belt drive with a foot clutch hand shift setup. I made an extended clutch arm to use a foot clutch so im not using the cable anymore. When I take off from a stop I cant seem to get the clutch from making a loud chattering noise and jolting into gear. Once the bikes rolling everything is fine and works like it should its just taking off from a stop there is no smooth transition. I push in clutch, shift to first, let out clutch slowly then the loud chattering noise and the bike takes off. I have tried adjusting the throw and even put one of those clutch hub retainers in scuffed up the plates but to no avail. Any advice?

Get Adobe Flash player

You have clutch chatter, and the best advice I can give is to change the clutch lining material. For a dry clutch in a belt drive, you might try the old style, aftermarket, cheap Taiwan green clutch discs (not the green Kevlar!). The Taiwan green clutch discs seem to be soft enough to prevent the chatter, as long as they are clean. Rust on the steels will cause chatter as well, and it's hard to keep a dry clutch from rusting, at least here in the humid South.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks JB, I currently have the Kevlar plates that I was using when the primary was a wet primary before the belt drive. I’ll try getting some new friction plates

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey beerslave - you got a pic of the extended arm you made? I am in need of one myself for my rotary top. Would love to see... and maybe throw some bones your way if interested. Hit me up @bpeak82 on IG... or email bpeak82@gmail.com. Thanks man.

Get Adobe Flash player

Steel Drive Clutch Plate with Rattler
    Price: $21.92 ea.

Replica steel drive clutch plate with Rattler.
    These help a lot ...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 4 Weeks Ago at 1:16 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

For what its worth, I went to the local grey beard bike shop and talked to them about what was going on. The guy handed me some extreme duty police clutch plates, they are 1/2 inch thick and only 4 of them told me to put them in and remove a steel plate. Took his advise and my clutch has never been better it really made riding my bike enjoyable again! The plates he gave me are V-twin part# 18-1124.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by beerslave View Post
    For what its worth, I went to the local grey beard bike shop and talked to them about what was going on. The guy handed me some extreme duty police clutch plates, they are 1/2 inch thick and only 4 of them told me to put them in and remove a steel plate. Took his advise and my clutch has never been better it really made riding my bike enjoyable again! The plates he gave me are V-twin part# 18-1124.
    I think that is the same material that I recommended. They are available as a five plate clutch as well.

Glad you got it sorted out. A good shovel clutch is a pleasure indeed.

Jim

Share This