CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Hybrid View

Default Selling Harleys to other countries

I built a shovelhead chop a couple years ago (which I posted in a thread somewhere on here) and ultimately ended up selling it by posting it on social media and it went to a buyer in Japan. Since then I've sold 2 more bikes out of the country: An 81 shovelhead that went to Japan and just last month a 73 xlch that went to the UK.
    Part of me says whoever digs these old bikes and wants them and wants to transform them and give them new lives and is willing to pay to get them shipped, they deserve to have them no matter who they are or where they are from. Its awesome to think of my old chop cruising the roads of Japan somewhere. Also we have sooooo much stuff from other countries including plenty of Japanese, brittish, etc cars and motorcycles over here as well.

On the other hand it's sad to think of a day when they were all bought up and shipped overseas and hard to come by in the USA.

What do y'all think?

That has been going on since I can remember. I posted on another thread about bikes going to Rotterdam back in the day. True it will drive up prices here, but it also gives you a much bigger audience to sell to.

It doesn't matter to me also......

tzienlee

after a couple of big time rip off sellers from the USA, that have cost some buyers i know here in the UK & in Ireland thousands for shit, I know no one in England or Europe who any longer trusts US sellers,
    people now will fly state side to eyeball the bikes personally, or get very close friends check them out before buying & shipping,
    the bubble has sort of burst a bit with the Europian market, as after import taxes & high shipping costs it is almost cheaper to buy bikes already here, plus with new EU legislation that refuses 'grey imports' to be registered, they now must be country compliant, example is France, unless the bikewas made for the french market they won't even let it through customs, Spain is the same Plus NO hardtails even if from the 30's 40's & 50's, they blanket banned them about 5 years ago less registed in a 3rd country.
    the average shovel, nothing fancy just a good runner will fetch between 7.5k-9k ($10.000-$12,000)... yea, stateside these are only $4k-$5k bikes, so tRump greed sets in & sellers think they can dump their shit abroard without comeback, those days are gone thank fuck,..
    being from the New York, New Jersey area I dont have these problems as most of my family & friends are still there to help, store & even ship whatever I want as 'gifts' so tax exempt, not everyone is as lucky, but everyone here is pissed with being ripped off
    Last edited by tzienlee; 11-23-2021 at 11:16 AM.

I’m a firm believer in keeping everything here related to American sub-culture.

Well... Frankly.. To be impulsive, childish and petty about it? It irks me because I can't have a knucklehead rider now.. They're all so fucking expensive, you can't have fun with them.

But, the intellectually honest and mature side I try to suppress, says it probably doesn't matter.. As that's what Harley was doing with them, themselves.

At least I had a dealer tell me straight up that they couldn't sell me a shovel trade in.. It went to AUCTION, and probably was gone forever after that. And I believe that. I never see older trade ins for sale at a dealership. It doesn't happen.

Share This