Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BlackCloudSalvage
    So if nobody objects.... I might just have to "make it my own".
    LOL Hell I'm not going to object it's your bike but I do think it's a shame...... But I hate that term make it my own.... If it is in your name it is your own...... I'm sure you will be different but when most people say that they are going to bolt on a bunch of ugly do dads and chrome crap.......

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Tattooo
      LOL Hell I'm not going to object it's your bike but I do think it's a shame...... But I hate that term make it my own.... If it is in your name it is your own...... I'm sure you will be different but when most people say that they are going to bolt on a bunch of ugly do dads and chrome crap.......
      Haha. I hear ya. I'm not that guy! There'd be a lot more coming off than going back on.

Anyhow. We'll see what I decide to do. I picked it up cheap so it's either a good bike to make a little profit on or a sweet bike for cheap.

By the way. Anybody know if I can put a kicker on this thing or if there are indeed different mainshaft ends?

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

Nice, bike and wordplay

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

By the way. Anybody know if I can put a kicker on this thing or if there are indeed different mainshaft ends?
          A kicker is a bolt on for that scooter ...

Going to be needing a swing out kick arm ..
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• tzienlee
            • Apr 2024

my last build, to many doesn't look that far from a stockish FX at 20 ft away, but get close & the details become obvious, but i built it that way intentionally, (and now & again yes, I do get a shiny new HOG member asking what model it is thinking it's a new factory built bike !!)
            it started as a 78 fx frame with a 79 1200 FL motor in it, i rebuilt everything as I wanted with a ton & a half of go faster, Stopping power & handling updates,
            I musta dropped well over $18k-$20k on it, but doubt I'd get much over $10k-$12k for it if i were to sell, simply because it aint original,...
            not that I ever intend to sell, it is for me, My ultimate build, using the best of everything I ever wanted in & on a bike,... my 'magnum opus' so to speak,
            but .... had it been all original, it would fetch top bucks for less input...

Comment

• DazedandConfused
              • Nov 2021

This right here, BlackCloud^^^

It has to be for you to be worth it, regardless of what direction it's taken because you aren't getting that money back out of it either way. It may take less input to go "all original" but I would be shocked if it took less money part for part, especially if you factor time-is-money, and the effort you will go through to find those original parts.

I always get a kick out of the guys who list bikes for sale, regardless of flavor, and state how much they have "invested". My thought is always "please tell me who your financial advisor is so I know never to use them".

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
                • Jan 2015

Trust me, I get all of this and agree. I didn't say anything about dumping money into it. I asked about adding a kicker with parts I already own.

I agree it's funny that people say they want so and so price because they've invested so and so. Those bikes usually stay for sale for a long time.

I was just talking about simply adding a kicker for the appeal.

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Dragstews
                  A kicker is a bolt on for that scooter ...

Going to be needing a swing out kick arm ..
                  Thank you Sir.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

LOL I will say that's a hell of a lot nicer than what I started with......... LOL
                    Attached Files

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
                      • Jan 2015

Yeah you definitely turned that thing around!

And to clarify, I realize I used the term top dollar, but what I really meant was to make a solid profit with minimal effort on this one and thought that the kicker alone would be a cool addition. Noted: the bike is not 100% original. I appreciate that info as I have no idea.

I do think it's a sweet bike. Kinda want to keep it.. The more I look at it and with all the new top end parts. Honestly it sounds better than any harley I've ever had. It has that nice rhythm to it I've always heard but felt like non of my bikes ever sounded exactly like that. I've had countless bikes thru my hands over the last 10 years and after hearing this bike, for the first time my wife, unsolicited, was like "that sounds awesome, sounds exhilarating"! Haha. I'm proud or her for noticing.
                      Last edited by BlackCloudSalvage; 11-22-2021, 5:26 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

And to clarify, I realize I used the term top dollar, but what I really meant was to make a solid profit with minimal effort on this one and thought that the kicker alone would be a cool addition. Noted: the bike is not 100% original. I appreciate that info as I have no idea.
                        I have a question...... Can I ask what you paid for it since were talking about making a profit??????

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
                            • Jan 2015

I paid $3800, which is honestly the most I've ever paid for a bike upfront. I've certainly put more than that into a bike. I have my keepers and typically every year or so I put together something customized and end up selling it. But, I'm also always looking out for deals that I can scoop up and flip to make a little extra money for the family (aka dump back into more motorcycle stuff)! But actually have done descent with it. I don't force it but always scanning with my morning coffee. If something pops up that I think I can make a few hundred dollars on by just taking a short drive then I'll do it.

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Dragstews
                              Awesome

Comment

• farmall
                                • Apr 2013

Ya can't lose by throwing a kicker on it as they come right back off if selling to some collector (sane collectors would leave it installed).

SC prices don't go high but it's an unusual, interesting bike for the right buyer and if ya keep it a kicker is a very good idea because the stock starter design eats leper anus. Ya can always save the dummy kicker cover for someone who cares (swap meets have piles of them because the shit e-start makes a kicker pretty much mandatory for serious use) when ya sell the bike.

As for keepers. I don't sell those so I don't really give a fuck about them as "investments". Investments should pay dividends in cash, not (relative) peanuts after many, many years. If I wanted investments I'd put the cash into an index fund. I don't need the "investment" excuse because the difference spread over many years isn't squat.

If ya want to flip it I'd give it a good detailing then ask mid-fives after taking some very good photos. Charleston has people with money and a lot of selling is about presentation. If it sits for a while buyers will forget any adverts it was in while you tidy it up. Prices are regional and SC prices are trending high for this area right now.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;