Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fetch
    • Sep 2017

Foot Clutch 79 FLH

Been thinking about setting up a foot clutch on my 79 FLH with and OEM Starter in a stock swingarm frame.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_120449-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	1347525

I've been told that I should extend the clutch lever on the Transmission to gain some travel in the clutch pedal. ( as in this photo )

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1347526

Anyone with experience with this? I see Fabricator Kevin does the modified cable and pedal for a fee but nothing about the length of the arm. Looking for some practical advise before I get into this.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Arm pictured is for the tin primary. The arm for the aluminum primary is shorter, and the clutch rod goes inboard of the solenoid. I don't know if you can fit this stuff up, if you have the cowpie transmission. It's a close fit with the ratchet top. Easier, of course, with the hand shift top.

Jim

Comment

• Fetch
      • Sep 2017

it's an early '79 with a ratchet top ( last of the '78 parts I assume)

Hand shift top makes sense. I assume I can compensate for the shift arm travel by moving the attachment at the pedal close to the fulcrum?

More to this endeavor then I originally thought.
      Last edited by Fetch; 11-11-2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Ya could swap out the lid for a jock-top lid and run a Police shifter ....

Or keep the ratchet top and use this kit ...

Police style jockey shift kit clamps to all front down 1-1/8" tubes for 4-speed ratchet type. Kit includes a smooth gate without detents for shifting.
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Fetch
          • Sep 2017

I'm thinking, all the extra linkage for the "police" style shifter is not what I'm looking to do. Was thinking the just a shift bar off the ratchet top. My concerns are with the clutch cable and amount of travel the pedal will have. I suppose mounting the cable close to the fulcrum is the answer? But is it sufficient to have a descent clutch pedal?

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

Cable .. ??
            What cable ..??

Won't be a cable with a foot clutch ..

Clutch release lever for use with ratchet top transmissions, electric start inner primary and mouse trap.
            *NOTE: When using a rocker foot clutch 16-1/2" long pull rods are required, for 1965-1967 FL with mousetrap and 1965-1977 with rocker clutch.

FITS
            FL 1965-1978 for mousetrap or police jockey clutch

Comment

• flatman
              • Sep 2017

I think hes thinkin suicide clutch not the rocker, hence the closer to the fulcrum comment. IMHO

Comment

• Fetch
                • Sep 2017

So now I'm more confused. Can you post the link to that part.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Here's a good photo ^^ of the Police shifter ...
                  With it in use on a ratchet or cow pie lid, it's a push/pull to the next gear ..
                  Now "IF" you had the jock lid, there would be a gate in the shifter plate that keeps you from over/under shifting ..

The clutch can be suicide clutch or the rocker, the shifter won't care cause it will work with any clutch petal setup ...

A lee's ^^ would fit the bill really well if suicide was the choice ... (Better have a front brake)

Check out this Vid ...

Watch how he shifts it ...
                  That 1935 prototype EL Knuck has a ratchet lid on the tranny ...
                  ... (Only in the movies) ...

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-11 185301.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1321085

There it is that round looking blacked-out hardware is the ratchet lid ...

In the Vid the scoot was running a tank shifter, be the same gig if it was a Police shifter ...

If you wanted to get a bit created you could mount the Police shifter to your top motor mount ...

I have a shifter that I made up that was mounted there ...
                  Had it on a scoot for many years till it went back to a foot shift and hand clutch...
                  Got it in a box somewhere, with a little digging think I could find it ... ??

Originally posted by flatman
                  I think hes thinkin suicide clutch not the rocker, hence the closer to the fulcrum comment. IMHO
                  I think he's thinking bout the 5-speed trannys ...
                  Last edited by Dragstews; 11-11-2021, 5:23 PM.

Comment

• Fetch
                    • Sep 2017

So, some clarity, I apologize for the lack of.

I want to run a "suicide" clutch....got a vented disc upfront

I was also thinking a jockey shift, not a tank shift

I see how the clutch arm extends out over the inner primary for the rod to pedal connection........but, I've got a starter that would be in the way, plus my rear exhaust passes over the starter. This is why (I think) a cable not a rod is necessary. So back to square one?

Here's the primary sideClick image for larger version

Name:	20190831_154939-1_resized (2).jpg
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	1321086
                    Last edited by Fetch; 11-11-2021, 5:36 PM.

Comment

• flatman
                      • Sep 2017

I know you want to run a suicide and not a rocker. Just some info if I remember right, the rocker clutch for the later police shifter had a big spacer to space out the rocker clutch to miss the bigger aluminum primary. Also some (and some do not) people have had problems with the bolt on suicide clutch pedal because of the fast on, off action, hence the lowering of the fulcrum point. You could also mount the rocker clutch and simply take the override spring off and use the heel portion to achieve suicide. Just some thoughts.
                      Last edited by flatman; 11-11-2021, 5:57 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

Keeping the starter and pipe in play most likely will require a cable to work ...

And coming off the lid with a shifter going to be tight with all that shi ... stuff in the way ...

Get with Fab Kevin (586-291-4798) and see what he can make up for this arrangement of parts ...
                        Last edited by Dragstews; 11-11-2021, 7:46 PM.

Comment

• Fetch
                          • Sep 2017

That's where I think I'm headed. Gotta keep the starter, want to keep the dual pipes
                          ... so off to Kevin's I go.

Comment

• Dragstews
                            • Sep 2010

Think you would be better off moving the hand shift forward ..
                            Be a hell of a lot easier to get to for shifts and no mods to the pipe and cover ..

Comment

• Fetch
                              • Sep 2017

Good point, wasn't even thinking about the pipe being in the way of the shifter. Gotta re-think, dual pipes and a tank shift or 2 into1 and a Jockey. Agree the reach would be shorter, just not liking the look of linkage. Could paint in black to make it go away. Plus Jim noted it would be easier ( and probably better ) with a hand shift top on the Trans.

Wondering if I could sneak a Jockey shift around the pipe?

Glad I posted this instead of just diving in! Really appreciate the observations.
                              Last edited by Fetch; 11-12-2021, 8:22 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;