CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Timing a flathead with manual advance dist. And electronic ignition

Well I picked up a timing light. Now how the hell do I use this thing? I've always run points and just static timed with the handheld lamp that illuminates when the points just crack. Now I have the ebeyond2000 unit and the timing with the white Mark's lined up. I've talked with a few guys with similar motor setups and they run em with the timing set between 30 and 32 degrees full advance. According to the white Mark's lined up and my flywheel mark in the left quarter of the timing hole I should be at 32 degrees.

What I'm getting at is how do i verify and set the timing with this ebeyond2000 and a timing light. Thanks guys!

Get Adobe Flash player

With the motor running, it is going to throw a lot of air and oil out of the timing hole, so the clear plug that is sold for viewing the timing mark is best. You can do it with a face shield and just let it fly. Painting the advance timing mark, which should be the vertical line, will help you see it. I have tried several colors and find that a bright green shows up best. I use model car paint.

Hook the light up to the front plug lead, crank the motor, and advance the timer to its stop, and check for the line centered in the hole. Adjust as necessary and repeat.

The timing hole is about 8 crankshaft degrees wide, so you have a range of 4 degrees extra advance or 4 degrees retarded from the factory advance timing setting.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

I was hoping you would respond. I cant send PM's for some reason. Thanks JB.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by montuckymatt View Post
    I was hoping you would respond. I cant send PM's for some reason. Thanks JB.
    Yeah, and I don't get them for one or two days either.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Yeah, and I don't get them for one or two days either.

Jim
    Hell most of the time I don't get them at all..................

Get Adobe Flash player

JB, checked the timing with the light. Boy were you right. Timing was off so far that the slash wasnt even in the inspection hole. I got it set where it needs to be. Bike seems more crisp and faster. The lines in the ebeyond2000 were an 1/8" off from lining up when it actually fires! I should have done this months ago. I was so used to just static timing points and running my bikes that way. I feel much more confident in my tuning after using the timing light

I also added a couple more shims under my n65 needle bringing the total up to six. Ran strong. I'll pull the plugs once this pig cools off. Thanks JB and tattoo. I appreciates the input and so does my ol flatty

Get Adobe Flash player

You are quite welcome. I'm glad we could help you save that old iron.

Jim

A different way I like to use with a E-beyond 2000 or similar ignitions is to put your mark in the hole and move the circuit breaker till the plugs spark,then turn the motor backwards and then forward till they spark and look wear the mark is in the hole, works the best using a socket and breaker bar on the motor nut. Glad you got it dialed in.

Get Adobe Flash player

adjust points static time. timing light to see how your lash is..
    done

Share This