Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penguin74
    • Apr 2017

4 Speed Tranny Main drive oil seal spacer

Rebuilding a 78 4 speed and came across two different mainshaft oil seal kits. Only difference I can see is one has a spacer with a notch in it for a key, and the other does not. I've found the specific part numbers and looks like up to early 77 the spacer had a keyway notch in it and from late 77 to 79 it didn't . So I think I've got the right parts coming for mine, but looking at the shop manual and parts books, I can't see why there was a change. Does anyone know why Harley changed from the keyway notch in the spacer to not having one?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-18 at 12-50-21 Eastern Motorcycle Parts Main Drive Gear Spacer for 4-Speed Tr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1347582Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-18 at 12-50-35 Eastern Motorcycle Parts Main Drive Gear Spacer for 4-Speed Tr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1347583
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

They just eliminated the key. You can run either style because otherwise the spacers are the same.

Jim

Comment

• Penguin74
      • Apr 2017

Gotcha, only thing that had me thinking twice was I've read some stuff on here where guys are saying if you forget the key it'll leak real bad. I think the same years they changed from the keyway they also went to the closed bearings, not sure if that is related or not. Doesn't really make sense to me why you would want that spacer turning inside the seal, seems like that wouldn't keep a good seal. Then again I also don't quite get why you would want your 4th gear turning inside the spacer essentially just metal on metal.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Yeah, the key is there to keep that spacer turning in the event that the sprocket nut works loose, and that happens quite often.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;