Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toglhot
    • Nov 2021

Side panels.

When I welded together a seat pan, I made it around 2" narrower that the stock seat, this of course meant the original side panels were too wide, so I binned them and made some new ones from 1.6mm aluminium.

Initially I made made them to stretch from the centre backbone to the rear down tube. These were hand beaten and had a rolled edge around the periphery for strength. They looked nice, but after I fitted pods to the carbs found they contacted the panels, so, they also went in the bin.

Then procrastinated for a few days, finally deciding on a plan.
    Attached Files
  • toglhot
    • Nov 2021

So, plan in head, I welded together an aluminium battery carrier, welding a new support across the seat rails to support the rubber mounted carrier. I welded some tabs on the side of the carrier to which the new side panels would be bolted.
    Attached Files

Comment

• toglhot
      • Nov 2021

The new side panels being half the size of the others didn't require a rolled edge around the periphery. But, as the bottom rail doesn't match the line of the seat rails, I had to do some severe bending and twisting to approximate the angles.

The panels slip over an aluminium bullet bolted to a tab on the rear downtube and are fixed to the battery box by two stainless Allen screws. The side panel is mounted front and rear in rubber grommets with Delrin, positive stop, T nuts.
      Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;