Retry of the rebuild thread for the New Phoenix (aka Brown Sugar)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

I've always wondered on the bass boats, do the shoot gel coat, then the flake, then the glass, or do they lay the glass and then shoot the flake after it comes out of the mold?

One day I would love to have me a bass boat and a little a place on the lake, sigh.... come on Lotto!

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

It's all in reverse .... Gel coat, flake then glass ... Then all the wooden supports gets glassed in ...

Then it's pulled from the mold ... The mold gets a really good wax job so it will not be so hard to break loose ....
      Last edited by Dragstews; 10-20-2021, 4:58 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

Front edge of the tank is almost there, here I tried it out and while I still have a little work to do, it looks pretty close.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2590.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	1320587

I need to finish those up, a couple of brackets need some love, and then it's time to clean the garage and put up some plastic over everything. So damn close, lol.

While I am doing the bike I am also painting a dart board case that my Dad made me and that I am passing along to my Grandson.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

Good day today, got the fuel fittings aligned and ready to rock and roll. Handy little tool, only Harley would think to make an alignment tool for this, but it does work!

Name:	tankalign.jpg
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	1320647

Then it was time to sling some paint Got the first two coats of primer on there, tomorrow I will dust it with a contrasting color and do a light sand to make sure I got all the divots out. Getting close I can almost taste it, then again maybe that is the curry going in the kitchen .

Name:	primed.jpg
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	1320648

Comment

• rockman96
            • May 2018

That's looking real good. A lot more work goes into that stuff than most people realize.

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
              • Oct 2016

Looking great Doom I’m excited to see how the paint turns out, killer work so far.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                • Oct 2016

Well crap, rainy, cold weather today so I guess a little wet sanding is called for. This works out fine as I have found a few spots I want to improve before going forward. As usual, once it is all in one color the flaws really jump out at me.

One thing I learned from last time, House of Kolor is not kidding when they say to only use a catalyzed patching material ( aka bondo or fiberglass ). I had used some glazing putty last time and I think that is where my original paint on the oil tank failed.
                Last edited by DoomBuggy; 10-21-2021, 9:00 AM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                  • Oct 2016

Had to take a quick trip out the Phoenix, mom is not doing so well and ended up in a skilled nursing facility for a bit. My oldest and I are now working on the next steps for her. Aging is a bitch, let me tell you!

On the positive side, molding is done, and today the weather is decent ( for the next three days ), so I was able to shoot everything in the final sealer color.

And yes, it's yellow! I am using a translucent white with iced pearl in it to achieve the look I want. Over grey it is a cold blueish color, but over yellow it becomes this warm metallic sand color that should look interesting. That will be tomorrows adventure.

Name:	IMG_2591.jpg
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	1320987

I also shot two scratch panels so I can proof out my design work and two doors for the dart board case I am making my grandson.

More to come....

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• selectedgrub
                      • Dec 2009

Sorry to read about your mom.

Comment

• cdwillis
                        • Dec 2018

The molding looks good. As soon as I saw that seat spring/shock I wondered how stiff it was then looked up and I read what you wrote. Do you think you could run just one or would it make the seat unstable and shift side to side?

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by selectedgrub
                          Sorry to read about your mom.
                          Thanks man, she is a very independent and stubborn lady. It is taking both of my daughters and my convincing to get her where we need her to be. To every season and all that.

Originally posted by cdwillis
                          The molding looks good. As soon as I saw that seat spring/shock I wondered how stiff it was then looked up and I read what you wrote. Do you think you could run just one or would it make the seat unstable and shift side to side?
                          The guy I bought the seat pan from said he had the same setup and tried a single shock, apparently it wiggled all over the place. Once I get a bit closer I will break one of them down and find a milder spring. According to the web site these are 300 inch/lbs each. I am thinking a third of that would be enough.

Comment

• DustyDave
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                            Thanks man, she is a very independent and stubborn lady. It is taking both of my daughters and my convincing to get her where we need her to be. To every season and all that.

The guy I bought the seat pan from said he had the same setup and tried a single shock, apparently it wiggled all over the place. Once I get a bit closer I will break one of them down and find a milder spring. According to the web site these are 300 inch/lbs each. I am thinking a third of that would be enough.
                            I bought some from Chopper Shox 8 or 9 years ago that were stiffer than a preachers dick on Sunday morning. I wrote them and they sent some more reasonable ones. He said he had a lot of trouble with dealers sending two singles instead a double set.
                            Dusty
                            Dusty
                            Driving that train, high on cocaine
                            Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                            Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                            And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                              • Oct 2016

Thanks Dave, I'll track them down and see if they can help me out.

Got all the orange peel out of all the pieces and shot the frame, did not have enough clear for the other stuff so that will wait till tomorrow. There is an auto paint store a few miles from here that is a HOK dealer, hopefully they have the intercoat in stock.

Name:	IMG_2592.jpg
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	1321013

Name:	IMG_2593.JPG
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	1321014

Comment

• Tattooo
                                • Sep 2012

Doom sorry to hear about your mom.

I do have a question. Is there a reason you left the neck lock?????? Other than your going to be using the neck lock??????

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;