CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Question: Replacing Fried Ignition.

The unit in the bike is an old Crane Hi4. It is dead. There's nothing else but the module and cup in there. All the stock stuff is gone.

Does anyone run the Ultima Single Fire Units?

Do you like them?

Get Adobe Flash player

I haven't ran an Ultima, but I'm sure a certain someone will be along soon to tell you what a huge POS they are. That said, I've ran a Dyna S single fire for ages and love it. Dyna makes the units that Ultima sells with their name on it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks Rockman. I looked at the Dyna S.. I know people really seem to like it.

I may need to tune the curve for my engine and all the stock advance stuff is gone.

I guess i could dig it up on Ebay? A programmable unit, or at least one with some basic curves to select would be nice.

Get Adobe Flash player

https://www.amazon.com/Ultima-Single.../dp/B007KPV1MY

Check out reviews and go from there.

Here's a video. I haven't watched it but it seems to be in line with your situation.

https://youtu.be/ehpZ_3HavJw
    Last edited by rockman96; 09-05-2020 at 5:58 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I was looking at that exact one, actually.. On Amazon. (Cause Prime)

The reviews are good, so I'll probably try it if no one has a better suggestion.

But, good reviews are often offered when a product is purchased and it works.. I dunno what happens in 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by rockman96 View Post
    I haven't ran an Ultima, but I'm sure a certain someone will be along soon to tell you what a huge POS they are. That said, I've ran a Dyna S single fire for ages and love it. Dyna makes the units that Ultima sells with their name on it.
    They do make them for Ultima to There specs not Dynas! In the long run I think you will always have better luck buying from the manufacturer!
    Last edited by pan620; 09-06-2020 at 8:29 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by pan620 View Post
    They do make them for Ultima to There specs not Dynas! In the long run I think you will always have better luck buying from the manufacturer!
    I'm in agreement with the above. I have used Dynatek products for decades, and I've been happy with them.
    One of the Shovelhead Forum members sells a lot of the Ultima units and says they give good service, but recently had two bad ones in a row. QC issues perhaps?
    And I will add that "single fire " ignitions will give you absolutely no benefit unless you are at the raggedy edge of the performance envelope (and maybe not even then). It's just mo' money spent on something more complicated that does not work any better than the "stock" wasted spark (dual fire) system.

Just my 2c,
    Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks ato all of you for your help. I appreciate it. I ordered the Ultima unit last night kinda in desperation, because NOBODY has this stuff on the shelf here. Everything has to be shipped and I can have an ignition by early in the week. And the reviews are really good. So, we'll see how it goes.

Is there anywhere to still get the programming cable at this point?

Get Adobe Flash player

I sometimes almost regret buying that fucking bike, because it has been winging it ever since I brought it home and realized there was no oil drain plug in the bottom of the case. lol. That's how much I knew about Harleys.

All the information is he said/he said stuff online, and it is valuable to find people with experience who know this stuff like the back of their hand.

I really think there's a place for someone to write the definitive book on maintenance, repair and interchange for older Harleys.

The complete lack of authoritative information sources is a real contrast to Car World and other motorized endeavors.

I think more people would take this stuff up if they had a better understanding of it from a knowledgeable source they trust.

You could sell a book like that for hundreds. I'd buy one. I bet a lot of people would.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post
    I sometimes almost regret buying that fucking bike, because it has been winging it ever since I brought it home and realized there was no oil drain plug in the bottom of the case. lol. That's how much I knew about Harleys.

All the information is he said/he said stuff online, and it is valuable to find people with experience who know this stuff like the back of their hand.

I really think there's a place for someone to write the definitive book on maintenance, repair and interchange for older Harleys.

The complete lack of authoritative information sources is a real contrast to Car World and other motorized endeavors.

I think more people would take this stuff up if they had a better understanding of it from a knowledgeable source they trust.

You could sell a book like that for hundreds. I'd buy one. I bet a lot of people would.
    That's why several of us are on CC and other forums. Trying to help by providing some knowledge (that came the hard way) because there are no books that really cover it all, and even the earlier factory service manuals don't cover every aspect.

And then there are the opinions, and the outright speculation that colors a good bit of the knowledge and does no more than muddy the water.

C,
    It's learn-by-doing, always the best way. Think of us old fools who started out with no help and no internet wherewith to seek answers. You have it sooo easy!

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Donnie Petersen wrote thousands of pages on the subject if you want reference material but if you research exhaustively (I do for everything I work or or use) you can pick it up by reading for free. A fundamental understanding of machinery easily translates to HDs which are very simple engines (and much simpler than cars).

The definitive book(s) on interchange are the factory parts catalogs so download every one you can find.

No problems with Ultima ignitions on my end but I use Dyna coils after being warned that's where Ultima cheaps out (but I have no empiric proofs to support that contention, just assertions from dealers who sell both). There's nothing special about integrated circuits where some shitty one will save money and electronics can be built cheap so the odds are strong that the difference between the ignitions is "product differentiation" rather than inferior parts. None of that stuff is built to (for example) aircraft specs except maybe R&B racing electronics and they cost accordingly. Ignitions are disposable and disposably priced.

Remember bike markups are like watercraft markups are like cocaine markups. Harley drivetrains themselves aren't especially high quality parts, they're just sold at high markup.

I don't even look at brick and mortar stores for parts or want to since I can order parts after a few seconds searching and get back to whatever I was doing. It's not worth my driving time to have someone else click an online order form and I maintain my own bench stock. Having a good bench stock is fleet maintenance practice and pays off. I don't buy asswipe by the sheet either and my bench stock always includes at least one ignition system and charging system complete. Worst case, my estate sale has a few hundred bucks more parts. Meantime I live in convenience by copying industry and the military.

I don't buy asswipe by the sheet either...

Words to live by, though I haven't accumulated spares of much yet. Pushrod cover o-rings and primary cover seals so far. Leaks less, duh.

Anyway, my $0.02 on the Dyna S: It was on my '80 80 shovel five years ago when I bought it, no probs at all. I don't thrash it, so can't comment on redline behavior, works for me, though. One more data point...

John

Share This