CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default It finally happened to me! Check ball

I've been riding my '75 FLH Shovel chop for about a year and a half now and it finally happened to me. I've been reading through these forums for years, well before i had a shovel of my own, and have heard about this a bunch. At least i think this is what happened.

Went to kick her over to ride to work yesterday after not riding for a couple weeks and as i was kicking i started to hear a loud gurgling sound. I kept kicking a few times until i noticed it had dumped oil all over my driveway. What a mess!!! It was coming from the breather tube routed to the ground under the frame.

So...sounds like the classic oil sumped motor from check ball right? Is the gurgling normal?

Looked in the oil tank and sure enough oil was very low.

Anyhow, ive read recommendations on how to solve the issue by using a couple spare balls to re seat the cup, but i am curious....

What is the best way to get the sumped oil out?

Keep kicking?

Fire it up and blow it out?

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, just keep kicking or fire it up only long enough to stop seeing oil coming out of the vent tube. I would also replace your check ball spring as they do get weak over time and can allow that seepage into the case when she sits for a awhile.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thank you Mr. Badmonkey!

Get Adobe Flash player

some Shovels will sump in a day, others will sump in 3 months, they are all diferent,
    changing the ball & spring MIGHT help a bit but usually it is more than just that,
    you can get a new ball in there & tap it down to 'Re-seat' the aluminium face in the pump,
    or you can use an old pushrod with a 3/8'' ball & lap it in with valve gringding paste then fit a new ball, or you can get a cutter to re-cut the seat where the ball sits, either of these fix's require the removal of the pump so it can be properly cleaned out, ya don't want either cutting swarf or lapping paste in there when ya run it,
    or just replace with an S&S pump which is about the best thing to do as you get a better oil pump, better pressure feeding & return, it does need the drilling of a 1/8'' hole through into the case using an S&S drilling Jig, but not a hard job & well worth it,
    this can be done by just removing the rear push rods & tappet block & splodg a handfull of Castrol LM grease against the inside wall of the cam chamber where the drill will break through, to catch any swarf as you drill into the chamber,
    that way you don't have to take all the cam cover off & all apart to clean out the swarf, I did this a couple of weeks ago, (see Picture) saves a lot of work.
    otherwise, work out how fast it sumps, if its over a week, run the bike everyday, if it takes a month, run it once a week, but best to fix properly,
    it will be leaking for a reason & generally it WON'T be just a ball or spring, theres usually some shit on or embedded in the seat so will need work with the pump off the motor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1904.jpg  
    Last edited by tzienlee; 09-04-2020 at 8:26 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the tips

Get Adobe Flash player

ehh its marking its spot, fuck it

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Davestune View Post
    ehh its marking its spot, fuck it
    Oh heck no! This is way more than marking a spot. Plus, that's what my trans is for!
    Last edited by BlackCloudSalvage; 09-05-2020 at 5:42 PM.

Yes it is a mess. I took my WR out a about three weeks ago after not starting it for about a month. Started fine and and I took off, Went riding out on the eastern prairie of Colorado and the bike is running like a top for a round trip of about 50 miles. I come shooting up the hill to my house, turn into the drive way and see big puddles were I started the bike and and rode it out into the street where the puddles tapered off after a short distance. I about shit my pants, I'm thinking I had a major oil leak and I'd just been running the bike hard for over an hour. I parked it and check my oil tank and was so relieved to see the oil level was find. Second time this has happened in the last 20 years so I'm not going to do anything but roll out to the street before I start it again.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a little vented puke can on the end of my breather pipe. Hangover from my racing days.
    Last edited by Hoghead; 09-08-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 49WR View Post
    Yes it is a mess. I took my WR out a about three weeks ago after not starting it for about a month. Started fine and and I took off, Went riding out on the eastern prairie of Colorado and the bike is running like a top for a round trip of about 50 miles. I come shooting up the hill to my house, turn into the drive way and see big puddles were I started the bike and and rode it out into the street where the puddles tapered off after a short distance. I about shit my pants, I'm thinking I had a major oil leak and I'd just been running the bike hard for over an hour. I parked it and check my oil tank and was so relieved to see the oil level was find. Second time this has happened in the last 20 years so I'm not going to do anything but roll out to the street before I start it again.
    Yeah and mine was on the new driveway we just put in a few months ago. I hadn't ridden in a few weeks and after working around the yard all day with my family I decided itd be good to take my bike to the grocery store to grab a few dinner supplies. Nope, should have taken the car! That is extremely alarming when you see it for the first time. Wow, so much oil. I'll be starting the bike in the grass until I'm confident again.

Get Adobe Flash player

I just pull the timing plug when I suspect wet sumping and the crankcase clears in a couple revs with no strain on leg or electric leg.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I just pull the timing plug when I suspect wet sumping and the crankcase clears in a couple revs with no strain on leg or electric leg.
    How does that work?

Share This