CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Twincam ignition module problems

I've got an 04 FXSTD that's been heavily modified, wiring harness stripped down to the bare minimum. I've removed all turn signals, instrument cluster, speedometer, all handlebar electronics, and the TSSM. Sensors (MAP, Speed, Crank) are all still in place. I've wired the starter relay into a three position key switch with momentary. Wired the fuse box onto switched power. Lights come on with switched power, the starter kicks in when momentary is switched on but I've got no spark to the plugs through the ignition control module. I've checked continuity to all the associated wiring and everything's good, running direct power through the coil and grounding out to the jug i can get spark from both plugs so I know it’s not the coil, plugs or wires. I've been told Harley marries the ICM to the TSSM and neither one will function without the other. Does anyone know of a workaround so I can uses the stock ICM? Or am I gonna have to buy an aftermarket ignition module?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left side.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	106105

Name:	right side.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	106106
    Last edited by tacorun; 09-03-2020 at 2:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tacorun View Post
    Or am I gonna have to buy an aftermarket ignition module?
    Yep..................

Get Adobe Flash player

what a system, you gotta teach them parts to get married (farmall would say never marry what you can pimp)...here is a procedure for a stock machine - a process that requires togglin' the turn signal switch, which you ain't got:

Harley ECM Password Learn Procedure
    When installing a new ignition or ECM on a security-equipped Harley there is a “Password Learn” procedure that must be performed. This applies to all Twin Cam and V-Rod models with factory security but may also apply to Twin Cam’s with EFI. The TSM/TSSM and ECM have “learned” passwords that synchronize the control module with several other components. Once you remove a component from this chain the module shuts down and won’t start. This is reported to only occur with EFI models but the new 2004 carbureted models demonstrate the same shut-down when changing the ignition module. Once you have installed the ignition module and reconnected the battery, perform the starting sequence as normal. The engine will cough once in an effort to start but will fail when the module shuts off the fuel...
    http://www.harley-performance.com/password-learn.html

procedure here for TSM/HFSM and ECM Password Learning, with no mention of turn signal togglin';

http://www.chopsgarage.com/tssm__fob_programming.html

and if that don't work, you can look here:

Name:	skgi_1404222_23730.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	106110
    http://www.chopsgarage.com/pin_up_page.html
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 09-03-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    what a system, you gotta teach them parts to get married (farmall would say never marry what you can pimp)...here is a procedure for a stock machine - a process that requires togglin' the turn signal switch, which you ain't got:
    Thanks man! I'm gonna try and Frankenstein the instrument cluster back on and run through this procedure, fully expecting to fail, but live and learn I guess.

As a back a up plan, does anyone have suggestions or preferences towards aftermarket ignition modules?

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks man! I'm gonna try and Frankenstein the instrument cluster back on and run through this procedure, fully expecting to fail, but live and learn I guess.

As a back a up plan, does anyone have suggestions or preferences towards aftermarket ignition modules?
    First off- I'm assuming that this is a carbureted bike? If it is injected the solution to your problem is a little different.

If it is carbureted and the TSM/TSSM was running with ignition module you have then they should already be matched and you should be able to wire in the TSSM and go.

You need to ensure that you have power, ground, and datalink wire connected to the TSSM. I see a schematic on your post - I'm assuming that you can use it to make the connections?

Make sure that you have the run signal to the ignition module (pin 1) tied to 12V since you no longer have the handlebar control to provide the run/stop signal.

This configuration should work for you, If you do this and still have no spark then you need to do the re-learn procedure.

I've done a couple of these and it is doable - but you have to run the TSM with the ignition module. If you don't want to run the TSM then you have to go aftermarket.

If this is a EFI bike then we need to look at a couple of other things. Important to know which it is.

Good luck with it.

Sorry, it is a carbureted bike. I'll dig the TSSM up and wire it back in this weekend. I'll probably run the TSSM+ignition module for the rest of this season (as long as i can get it working again) and go aftermarket in the winter as I've gotta do the cam chain tensioner next year and am planning some engine work. Thanks for the heads up man

Get Adobe Flash player

I installed a Thunderheart unit and coil about a month ago on my FXDX. Straight forward install that eliminates everything except the crank sensor.

I needed something adjustable for a 98" kit I'm putting on the bike. I think if I had started with a decent factory harness I would have used the Twintec unit, but the PO had done some interesting "mods" that I wasn't comfortable with and I don't mind scratch making my harnesses.
    Last edited by Vinson; 09-08-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinson View Post
    I installed a Thunderheart unit
    Thunder heart was the other brand I was looking at, and fuckin clean wiring Vinson.
    I ended up going with a dynatek cause I was able to find them on stock in Canada. Now she’s up and running. Thanks for the insight everyone!

Share This