CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Squealing Shovelhead

The motor in the chopper pic of my intro is 1978 HD cases, otherwise everything else is all S&S 96 stroker kit, including the heads. When I bought the bike it smoked a little after rolling off the throttle. Assuming valve seals I took the heads to a local indy for new seals. Also took the jugs for hone and inspection. He said the bore/piston clearance looked good, sold me a set of rings and cleaned up the heads. I put it all back together, it's been a couple years now, but I never rode it much after that due to life changes. Anyway, last time I rode it a few years ago I noticed a squeal/squeak appeared to be coming from the left side. I thought I narrowed it down to the shift lever making noise since when shifting and not running it would squeak. Plus when I last rode it I usually wore a 3/4 helmet. Recently MO repealed the helmet law so I got the bike licensed again and took off the other day without a helmet. The squeal is much more noticeable without a helmet, only occurs when I roll on the throttle, lasts a few seconds then goes away. Frankly sounds like 2 or 3 belts squealing on a old V8. When cars had several belts. Comes on when hitting the throttle and goes away just as fast. But now it sounds like it's coming from the right side. Sitting still and no load on the motor it does not occur when I crack the throttle but, right off idle there is a slight chirp for half a second. Any thoughts on this wold be much appreciated before I open up the top end again to inspect. Going to open up the primary and look to see if anything is rubbing. I also put in a new clutch when I did the top. And BTW, it still smokes off the throttle like it did before I reworked the top end.
    Thanks, PDUBYA
    Last edited by PDUBYA; 09-02-2020 at 3:20 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Take your air cleaner off and see it the noise goes away. If not put long screwdriver to your ear and start probing around the engine for the sound
    Last edited by Fetch; 09-02-2020 at 7:03 PM.

Thanks Fetch. I did take the air cleaner off and the noise was still there. Idling and reving sitting still it sounds OK all except for the quick chirp right off idle when I crack it open. I’ll try the long screwdriver and see if I can narrow it down.

Get Adobe Flash player

Maybe a head gasket leak? any difference in sound between and rear cylinder head area? check compression.
    possible exhaust gasket leak?
    anything rubbing? engine mounts tight?
    primary belt misalignment?

Haven’t checked compression recently but after top done and head re-torque was 180’s if I recall. No evidence of a head gasket leak. Haven’t checked everything yet for tightness. I’ll be on the road a few days. Soon as I get the time I’m going to open the primary and start there.

Get Adobe Flash player

last time i had a bike squel it was a lifter gone bad.
    I didnt read anything above but make sure it aint that

I have a oil pump kit sitting on the bench to fix some gasket leaks. I had planned to correct that and check lifters when I start to investigate. Thanks for the tip.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Davestune View Post
    last time i had a bike squel it was a lifter gone bad.
    I didnt read anything above but make sure it aint that
    Yeah, seized rollers suck.

Yeah, this might hurt a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D3D048A-5EC7-4480-97A9-CE7B685B2409.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	106191

All the rollers feel smooth. Lifter block bores look good but something definitely up with the front exhaust lifter. Cam lobes looked good. Oil in the gear case was not sparkly. Only thing I noticed on teardown is the lifters all seemed a little tight. I adjusted them at least twice after the top was apart, not sure of mileage between but I probably only have a couple hundred on it since top done. I certainly don't recall adjusting them as tight as they were. Bike started and ran fine.
    Last edited by PDUBYA; 09-07-2020 at 8:54 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The tappet on the left looks burned. Maybe a restricted oil passage?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
    The tappet on the left looks burned. Maybe a restricted oil passage?
    No pressure oiling needed (or desired) for solid tappets in a shovel or pan. The breather gear throws a huge amount of oil on the tappets at every revolution.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

One possible source of a squeal would be a loose magnet in the alternator rotor, although those usually just quietly disintegrate.

Jim

Share This