X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norrimichlson
    • Aug 2021

will the oem rear break bracket fpr disc breaks fit in a round swingarm

Hello,

I'm thinking about going for a round swingarm on my 1980 flh. I'd like to use a disc break because my bike already came with one because its a 80s bike. I already bought some spacers so the 3/4 inch axle will fit and because of that i also want to use the oem break holding braket. Will it fit right in or do I have to tweak it a bit?
    Attached Files
  • 10scDust
    • Jan 2018

I'm not exactly sure what will need to be done with your parts and set up. But I put a round swingarm on a 1973 FX using a 1981 FLT rear disc brake caliper.

The round swingarm has the big flanged area for the axle adjuster and whatnot for the drum braking it was designed for.
    I had to machine clearances to my caliper bracket for that area as I did wanted to keep the swingarm as little molested as poissible.
    However, I did add an anchor point for the caliper bracket to mount to, welded to the underside on the right.

I also needed bushings for the shock mount bolts as I believe the round swingarm used larger diameter bolts. There may have been some other things, I mixed and matched up quite a few things modernizing and old school bobbing that bike.

Comment

• confab
      • May 2019

Yes and no.. My superglide bracket fit. (Think I shaved about .110 off of mine to center the wheel better, but it will fit.) The strap will not.

More here:

I'm assuming with the round arm and a average weight rider onboard a line would/should intersect both sprockets and the pivot? So, my question. When the MoCo went to the square arm was the tranny also raised to keep the alignment? I will eventually find this all out for myself, but in the meantime really curious! I'm wanting
      Last edited by confab; 11-11-2021, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

PS: If you want a pic, lemme know..

Comment

• rockman96
          • May 2018

Originally posted by confab
          PS: If you want a pic, lemme know..
          I'd be interested in seeing your setup... Post a pic.

Comment

• KevinKlein
            • Apr 2024

I'd be interested too

Comment

• tzienlee
              • Apr 2024

as far as I remember, basic rear wheel dimensions on big twins didnt change from 36 through till 84,
              just the brake so cant see it being a hard job,
              ya might need a spacer or two & an anchor point for the caliper torque arm welded on but no biggie...

Comment

• confab
                • May 2019

I'm going to refine this a little this winter, when it is apart for paint.. Gonna turn out a fancy plastic button for it to sit on, and maybe adjust the angle a little. Probably shim some of the slop in the caliper pivot out.

But, it looks like this:
                Attached Files

Comment

• confab
                  • May 2019

It gets rid of the big strap and there is an aluminum button I turned out and pressed into a shallow hole I drilled into the bottom of the caliper for the anti-rattle cushion to center on..

It had one of those spring things on it, but they don't fit the round swingarm well. I think I have a cut up piece of rubber hose on it now, and it cushions the caliper and keeps it quiet.

The pivots on all of those wear and rattle and shit.. So, you need something there.

It gets around welding stays and such. You can't tell from the pic, but it looks much better with a round swingarm if you step back from it a little.
                  Last edited by confab; 11-13-2021, 1:28 PM.

Comment

• tzienlee
                    • Apr 2024

why not upgrade it & get a proper rear brake by buying an 11.5 inch disc & a 2000-2003 sportster caliper, it has a 3/4'' axle hole already, lines up with the disc perfectly & one 12mm spacer etween the caliper & swingarm, 4 pot brembo stopping power for very little outlay & still using 'Harley' parts ifthat matters, no rattles or clunks , no praying to the god of calipers to just that time, make the banana work.....all ya need to do is weld an anchor point to the underside of the swingarm.... stops on a sixpence.... plus it looks much better than the boat anchor banana,& when I upgaded my swingarm it fitted as if made for it without any mods needed
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2021, 2:36 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;