CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Solo Seat Mod

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Solo Seat Mod

Hello Again,

Second post of the night but different problem.

I've got a Corbin solo seat that I want to keep for my pogo. Problem is that the mounting holes are too close together for the OEM Seat T. Easy thing would be to drill new holes in the Seat T, but I don't want to in case I ever sell it in the future.

Best thing I've come up with is a mounting bracket idea pictured below. I plan on making it out of 1/4" steel, drilling holes for the seat and bolting those down, then drilling two more holes further out and offset for the Seat T. I'd use spacers that I have to make up for the depth difference and so that the seat bolts don't hit the T.

My questions are:

Does anybody have a better idea?

If not, does anybody have recommendations on my design plan? Steel thickness, design flaws, anything else.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200901_183139.jpg   20200901_201228.jpg  

Seems like that will work for your purpose just fine.
    Are you saying that's an original, old bracket, never used?
    I personally would not only drill it where I need to but also probably chop off the extra length with the three holes at the ends and make it look lot cleaner while it's on my bike, screw the resale value!

Get Adobe Flash player

Make a whole new one and put that one in a museum.

Get Adobe Flash player

Take a look at a factory style solo seat mount for a K model or early Sportster. V twin sells one under part # 31-0508. At one time they sold a replica KR solo seat, and a seat T that looks much like the Sportster one to adapt it to a Big Twin frame. At first the seats were made by Corbin-Gentry (a different company from Corbin) then switched over to Chinese or Taiwan made ones. I have one of the old ones and had a mount for it, but to my taste it mounted too high and forward with the pogo. I gave it to a friend to modify, but he went ahead and made me a whole new one. The new one mounts the seat lower and back, where a bates type solo would normally go.

It wouldn't be hard to make one, or modify the VTwin one to work on a BT frame. The c-c distance on the KR seat is 6 9/16" Pretty sure the Sportster is the same.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't care about resale value, but if I end up changing it out, I'd rather it be stock so I can pass it on to someone rebuilding one to OEM specs.

Sounds like the popular opinion is to either drill the Seat T or buy a new saddle, neither of which are in the parameters I have. I guess I'll just have a friend make up this adapter and see if it works. If not, I'll look into the other options.

Share This