Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockman96
    • May 2018

Originally posted by WillPhelps52
    2) I moved to NC in 2016 and tried to transfer the title. NC has some law where they must do a "Fraud / Theft" inspection on old cars and bikes. The inspector wanted to give me a "2016 Custom" title because it wasn't even close to stock (see picture above). I requested my NJ title back so I could sell it.

5) I turned in the PA title and am waiting for my appointment with the "Fraud / Theft" inspector. It could take months to get an appointment (they blame COVID), so in the mean time, I'm trying to beg, borrow or buy enough stock parts to make the bike look like a 1957 so I can get my NC 1957 FLH title.
    NC is a beautiful state, but their "systems" are really F'd up... This is just another example. If you have a valid title, there s no reason for them to screw you around like they're doing. Hope it goes well this time.

Other than that, it IS a gorgeous 'sickle!

Comment

• Sugarcubes
      • Apr 2024

Have to admit for regular riding I like the sound of where you are headed with the second incarnation of the bike.
      I like choppers to look at but for everyday riding and long hauls, you cant beat a stripped down stock rake / fork length bike in my humble opinion.

Look forward to see the new set up and Tattoo that is a GREAT looking machine you have there!

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sugarcubes
        Tattoo that is a GREAT looking machine you have there!
        Thank you........ And yes sexy is a fun ride to boot........

Comment

• WillPhelps52
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Dragstews
          Could do a chopper type fender back there ...

The scooter not going to be a restore, why not make it a bit difference ??
          Yeah, I might do that, but I'm not a fan of the big fender you have pictured here. I'll stay away from V-Twin parts if I can help it.

I was looking through some old Cycle Source magazines (Dec 2019) this week and ran across a really nice red panhead with a "Led Sled" rear fender. The guy cut it down a bit, but I like the way it curves around the tire. It's not expensive, so that might hold me over until I can sell some of other parts to get some cash.

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

Keep in mind that the only person that you need to please is yourself ...
            Last edited by Dragstews; 11-11-2021, 3:03 PM.
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• WillPhelps52
              • Feb 2019

Here's a question for those in the know.

I bought some Colony chrome hardware, including the oil tank kit. In the box was 5/16 - 24 bolts and nuts for the rear fender section... as well as 5/16 - 24 bolts for the front section where it mounts to the frame. My frame mounts is a 5/16 - 18 thread. I don't know if the guy that fixed the frame did that, or if the Colony kit was for a different year frame. Any ideas?

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

As far as I know, all the frame tabs are 5/16-24 fine thread.

Jim

Comment

• WillPhelps52
                  • Feb 2019

Today I mounted my disk brakes and sprocket on my wheels. Next step is to figure out the spacers on the rear wheel and get that mounted so I can begin working on the fender mounts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	1321554

Comment

• WillPhelps52
                    • Feb 2019

A little bit of progress today.
                    1) I mounted the rear wheel, but have some questions about spacers, I'll ask in a minute.
                    2) Mounted the springer.
                    3) Mounted the front wheel.

There are no spacers yet. On a previous build, I used this little tool to find the center position of the front wheel. When I bought the springer, they included the axle and two very oversized spacers. Once I find the center, I need to cut the spacers to the correct size. That's going to be tough without a lathe.

The rear wheel is going to be a little tougher. This is a newer FX style wheel, with flat sprocket on one side and a disk brake on the other. I know I have to line up the sprocket, but what if the tire is not centered to the center line of the frame? No more work tonight, but tomorrow or Wednesday I will try get some pictures of what I'm dealing with.

I wish I had a bike lift. And a lathe. This is a bare bones garage build.

Name:	Springer_Install_Small.jpg
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	1321587
                    Attached Files

Comment

• DustyDave
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Put a bolt and nut through the spacer n chuck it up in a drill. While its spinning start the cut with the corner of a file, when the grove is where you want it saw it off with a hacksaw. If you manage to make your self bleed filling n sawing on a rotating part that's what ya gets for listening ta me! And certainly a personal problem.
                      Dusty
                      Driving that train, high on cocaine
                      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Revelator
                        • Aug 2009

Will.....You should reuse those exhaust pipes, They are sweet.
                        This is my '59 with '70's vintage paughco frame.
                        I also stripped mine down & I am moving most of the parts to a stock pan frame like you
                        are doing.
                        I am swapping the 12 over tubes with stock length, & I have a set of '59 tanks I will use.
                        & I may switch to a pogo seat. I also have a set of '59 heads to replace the shovel heads
                        if I decide to, & I'm staying with the freaky twilight zone fender. & I may switch to a fatter
                        front tire/wheel.

Name:	59 panhead pics vin number 013.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	1321595

Comment

• WillPhelps52
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Revelator
                          Will.....You should reuse those exhaust pipes, They are sweet.
                          This is my '59 with '70's vintage paughco frame...
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]107409[/ATTACH]
                          Nice looking bike. It should really look nice with a stock frame and front end. Do you have a build thread here on ChopCult?

Yeah, I'd like to keep the exhaust if I can. Two things I'll have to overcome when I get to that point. First, this is a real unmodified 1957 frame. I'm not going to cut or weld anything. I bought some Jeep Roller Light Mounts off ebay. They clamp to a 1" diameter pipe and have a tab with a hole in it. I'm going to see if I can use them to attach my pipes to.

Second, the pipes are blue and have some spots where boots have melted. I'll try some kind of cleaner and maybe some heat shields. We'll see how things go when I get to exhaust.

Comment

• Revelator
                            • Aug 2009

And after cutting the spacers by hand, if you have a belt sander, You can sand it smooth and use a small
                            machinists square to check for squareness as you sand away.
                            just make sure you cut it oversize, & then carefully sand until it is optimum length.
                            use a fine grit belt like 220grit & then finish off hand sanding on a flat surface with 400 grit.

Comment

• WillPhelps52
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by DustyDave
                              Put a bolt and nut through the spacer n chuck it up in a drill. While its spinning start the cut with the corner of a file, when the grove is where you want it saw it off with a hacksaw. If you manage to make your self bleed filling n sawing on a rotating part that's what ya gets for listening ta me! And certainly a personal problem.
                              Dusty
                              I spent the $10 on a bolt and some bushings. I think this is what you meant. I got sick, so haven't been out in the garage, but I hope to get back out there soon.

Name:	Axle_Spacer_Tool_1.jpg
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	1321647

Name:	Axle_Spacer_Tool_2.jpg
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	1321648

Comment

• DustyDave
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

That bolt might be a little short to chuck straight, by the time you put a nut on it to keep it spinning with the chuck.
                                Dusty
                                Driving that train, high on cocaine
                                Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                                Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                                And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;