X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 74andmore
    • Oct 2021

reversing polarity

Greeting all.

I’ve come into possessions of a small 1974 Harley fxe ( converted to kickstart only) that I’m trying to get running. Per previous owner: it’s been sitting a few years and prior to that it had run into a case of having its battery leads switched temporarily. Clunkers manual describes this mistake as being able to cause serious damage, as one might imagine. It’s got pretty simplified ( though not pretty) wiring and a couple in line fuses (all with continuity). The problem is it won’t spark, any insight on what components may have been the first to fry through reversing leads? Stator? Any help or tips for troubleshooting are very appreciated!
    Also I’ve checked/tested the ignition, coils, cleaned plugged and a couple other no brained solutions
    Last edited by 74andmore; 10-28-2021, 11:20 AM.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

About the only thing that can be damaged by reversing the battery connections would be an ignition module, if so equipped. The Dyna S pickup is a good example, they won't tolerate reverse polarity, period. (But of course that model would have had points as original equipment.)

The stator won't be damaged, and the voltage regulator should be safe as well, although it could possibly be damaged. But that would not keep the motor from running.

Jim

Comment

• 74andmore
      • Oct 2021

Ok I will try testing the reg/Rec next than. If this was bad should it really keep the bike from turning over though or would it just hinder the recharging of the battery? Thanks for your insight regardless, much appreciated.

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

Originally posted by 74andmore
        Ok I will try testing the reg/Rec next than. If this was bad should it really keep the bike from turning over though or would it just hinder the recharging of the battery? Thanks for your insight regardless, much appreciated.

You are a little confusing: Now you are saying it doesnt turn over? And why test the regulator now?

JB is again on it I agree, Ignition mudule:

I recommend you try changing out the ign module first: You can get OEM used ones pretty cheap on the net . The pick up on the module might be bad as well?

Comment

• docmel
          • May 2015

Qoute: "Also I’ve checked/tested the ignition, coils, cleaned plugged and a couple other no brained solutions"

How did you check the ignition and coil? Have you checked the ignition switch?

Please try to be a little more clear on what the issue is: It wont turn over (Wont kick over?), etc, and be really specific on what you checked and how you checked it

Comment

• DustyDave
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

I had a customer tell about his truck "it just revs out man" after awhile I figured out that his clutch was slipping. Another told me that his Fairlane was missing a little in 3rd gear the ride with him was a little unpleasant, it missed at a hundred and thirty seven mph in third gear when the lifters pumped up. I just dread the it won't crank over which can mean so many different things to different people. Descriptions that aren't clear or use idioms or jargon make diagnosis so much harder.
            Dusty
            Driving that train, high on cocaine
            Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
            Trouble ahead, trouble behind
            And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• rockman96
              • May 2018

Originally posted by DustyDave
              Another told me that his Fairlane was missing a little in 3rd gear the ride with him was a little unpleasant, it missed at a hundred and thirty seven mph in third gear when the lifters pumped up.
              Now THAT's funny as fuck!! The dude's hardcore!Running that kind of hardware and pushing limits like that, you'd think he would have known what was going on... But ya gotta love it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;