CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 1971 Shovelhead vs 1973 Shovelhead Oil Lines

Hi All - I'm new to wrenching on Shovelheads so I've been searching a lot to try to find this answer but have come up empty.

I will be swapping out a '73 Shovel for a '71 Shovel (not delivered yet) and was wondering if there were any differences in the oil line configuration? Did Harley change the oil pumps between those years or anything?

Is there anything else to look out for when making the swap?

I'm probably overthinking it and just need to organize myself properly once the '71 gets here, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by lastwaav33 View Post
    Hi All - I'm new to wrenching on Shovelheads so I've been searching a lot to try to find this answer but have come up empty.

I will be swapping out a '73 Shovel for a '71 Shovel (not delivered yet) and was wondering if there were any differences in the oil line configuration? Did Harley change the oil pumps between those years or anything?

Is there anything else to look out for when making the swap?

I'm probably overthinking it and just need to organize myself properly once the '71 gets here, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

It's a direct swap nothing is different............ Yes you are over thinking this but there is nothing wrong with asking questions.......

Do you own a Harley manual???????

No I don't, but I'm going to be sticking with this engine for the foreseeable future so I should definitely get one haha

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that that was the case, just wanted to be sure.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by lastwaav33 View Post
    No I don't, but I'm going to be sticking with this engine for the foreseeable future so I should definitely get one haha

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that that was the case, just wanted to be sure.
    They are great motors and you will really like it...... When you get your manual read it look at it and know it from the back to the front..,..... You will thank me later......... Enjoy........

Will do and thanks...appreciate the help.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    They are great motors and you will really like it...... When you get your manual read it look at it and know it from the back to the front..,..... You will thank me later......... Enjoy........
    I agree with tattooo, a good *FACTORY* manual is important. Clymers have some good info, only if thats all you can find... but they pale in comparison to a real factory manual. And keep important notes on the blank pages at the end of chapters... Document changes, etc... Very handy for future reference.

Manual is on the way! Thanks

Share This