Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mantree
    • May 2015

Harly wheel questions

While the chop I am working on is a old honda but I am using a 90 softail hub and a 16 inch rim. All of this is to let me run a 10 inch rear disk brake to keep up with my super sport engine. So my question is what is all the terminology for the hubs and rims? Is there some sort of cheat sheet that I can reference? Im trying to find a spoke kit right now.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by mantree
    While the chop I am working on is a old honda but I am using a 90 softail hub and a 16 inch rim. All of this is to let me run a 10 inch rear disk brake to keep up with my super sport engine. So my question is what is all the terminology for the hubs and rims? Is there some sort of cheat sheet that I can reference? Im trying to find a spoke kit right now.
    Pics would be real nice........... I hate to tell you but a 10 Harley disc isn't anything special as far a breaking goes........

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Buchanan's aftermarket Spoke Kits for Harley-Davidson style motorcycle hubs

Spoke Kits - Made To Order

MAKING CUSTOM SPOKES . . . IT'S WHAT WE DO.
        To make your spoke kit, we will need your motorcycle's information. We have a large database of spoke specifications for many hubs. If, however, we do not have specs for your bike, we can make spokes from your original samples. If samples are not available, please contact us so that we may determine if it will be necessary for you to send us your hub and rim. Please keep in mind that our spokes are replacements and not replicas.

To Place a Custom Order, please go to the bottom of this page and click the BUY button for the CUSTOM ORDER item. This will create a shopping cart and take you through the checkout process. It will allow you to complete our order form and send us the necessary information to begin your order. Use the COMMENT section at the end of the checkout form to tell us what you would like to order.

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Sugarcubes
          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by mantree
          Find out exactly what year hub you have and make sure its for the rear wheel. Im assuming it will be a typical harley drop-centre rim you are using but check this also. My rear wheel for a 1995 softail came stock with a 16" drop centre rim and used approx 6.5" spokes on both sides inner / outer. You can buy the spoke and nipple kits on ebay easily enough.

Go online and download a copy of the workshop manual for the year bike so you can check the spoke lace pattern is correct before you snug down the nipples and begin to true the wheel.

Comment

• mantree
            • May 2015

I was told the hub came off a 1990
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20211019_072431.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	1320623

Name:	20211019_072435.jpg
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	1320624
            The rim was bought off Craigslist here in Colorado

Name:	20211019_072456.jpg
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1320626

Name:	20211019_072502.jpg
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	1320627
            I am using a gma dual piston caliper and a 49t sprocket. The brake setup is why I am running a 10 inch, I would build a new arm to run a bigger rotor but that would require me to get access to a plasma ark to cut it out.

Name:	20211019_072447.jpg
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	1320628

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
              • Oct 2016

The hub looks correct for a softail, they had the manufacture year punched into the flanges on many of the dual flange hubs of that era, my 95’ rear flange does. If so, assuming your going to be running the 16x3 rim with the drop center hub, shit tons of spokes for standard HD 40 spoke 16” rear wheels available on eBay. It’s obviously a 3/4” axle so you’ll likely need a sleeve and spacer to get it to sit correctly in your plates and align with the trans sprocket. Not sure the center bore on your hub, might need an adapter ring 2”, 2-1/4”, etc to achieve a proper figment against the hub wall. The GMA is not a bad brake especially when you compare it the bannana, but still light years behind most modern setups. Good luck amigo

Comment

• mantree
                • May 2015

It will be way better than the old cable drum thats inplace now. I am running a set of what useto be Daniel boon forward controlls but they have been choped on and modified to the point that they can harley be recognized including thqt have mounted thr maset cylender from a goldwing. Is that rim what would be considered a drop center? And is the hub considered a spun steel hub?

Comment

• flatman
                  • Sep 2017

Did you get the rim off that wheel or did you get the whole wheel?

Comment

• mantree
                    • May 2015

It's the whole wheel I figured I would use the disk but when my brake came I found out that the mounting arm was setup to 10 inch rotors.

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

You have a factory H-D steel hub and a factory H-D steel, drop center 16" rim, so spoke sets for those are plentiful. You could reuse the existing spokes in a pinch, although that is not usually worth the trouble. This is technical, but the spoke layout of the aluminum hub and steel hub you have is different, and interchanging the factory rims between the two will result in the spokes binding against each other on one side of the wheel. For that reason, a stainless spoke would be preferred as the binding will rub the chrome off chrome spokes over time.

You would be way ahead of the game if you made a new caliper bracket and use the 11 1/2" rotor you have. The difference in braking power is large, as tattooo hinted at in his earlier post.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;