Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dylan529
    • Feb 2019

Shimming Trans

When I tighten my trans down to its mounting plate I'm ending up with a bit of a gap on the opposite side. So if I tighten my drive side I'm getting about .04" of a gap on the opposite side. Should I be shimming this? Also should I be tightening the front mounts first instead of the sides?

Early 4 speed Trans and a new mounting plate from jp. Going to be an open belt for primary

Also I've got a hunt mag that needs to go on, if anyone has a close picture of how exactly the hold down bracket get installed that would be a help.
  • rockman96
    • May 2018

You have no way of knowing where to shim if you don't have a motor plate or inner primary to position the trans in relation to the engine. But yes, I would shim it.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Also I've got a hunt mag that needs to go on, if anyone has a close picture of how exactly the hold down bracket get installed that would be a help.
      What engine?
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• tzienlee
        • Apr 2024

if the trasmission will not sit squarly on the trans plate, I would say the trans plate is bent or warped,
        get the trans plate off & check it on a surface gauge, replace if it's not flat, not expensive & some good quality ones out there.
        but if damaged it can damage expensive parts...

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dylan529
          Early 4 speed Trans and a new mounting plate from jp.
          An old original HD plate would be much better.

Comment

• pan620
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by tzienlee
            if the trasmission will not sit squarly on the trans plate, I would say the trans plate is bent or warped,
            get the trans plate off & check it on a surface gauge, replace if it's not flat, not expensive & some good quality ones out there.
            but if damaged it can damage expensive parts...
            Couldn't they frame be bent instead of a bad plate?

Comment

• tzienlee
              • Apr 2024

not if when you fit the trans plate to the trans and it's rocking,
              it's meant to be flat !!...
              the mounting surface of the trans was milled flat during production. & as so the two should fit,
              if it's not sitting flat the trans plate, it must be bent or warped. unless the trans case is warped but if it was that bad the trans case would be cracked & the trans jammed up.
              or do you mean, when the trans plate is bolted to the trans, the assembly is rocking on the frame mounts?
              if the plate IS flat ( you MUST check it !!) & the transmission is flat on the plate, but is rocking in the frame, the frame could be bent.

Comment

• Dylan529
                • Feb 2019

Motor is from a 52 fl.
                What do you mean when you say motor plate?
                This is going to have an open drive on it.
                I guess I could check the mounting plate against a window for flatness..
                Even mount the Trans in it off the bike to see what that does and see if it sits flat...
                Frame is a 48 so it could very well be tweaked. If that's my issue could I shim the whole mounting plate ?

What I'm trying to do right now is mount everything up so I can run the engine and trans. Once I have it sitting where I want I have some stuff to lay out then it will be removed again

Comment

• Dylan529
                  • Feb 2019

Could be the plates flat and when I torqued it to the frame it twisted a bit or something . I'm going to pull it out tonight and see.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

What do you mean when you say motor plate?
                    Where did he say that?

Comment

• Dylan529
                      • Feb 2019

Something about That was mentioned in the second comment in

Comment

• tzienlee
                        • Apr 2024

exactly where does it in your opinion need shimming?
                        please post a photo.
                        as I said, is it
                        A)...between the plate & trans,
                        OR....
                        B)... between the plate & frame ????
                        You must check the plate to see if it is flat

if you blindly shim it you run the risk of getting the trans mainshaft not being Square to the crank pinion etc..... yes you shim a motor if needed but the trans should be ok seeing your plate should be flat,
                        but if it's flat & rocking on the frame the frame might be bent.... PICTURES PLEASE
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2021, 9:25 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Something about That was mentioned in the second comment in
                          Yea I see it now since it was below tz post I figured you were asking him. Yea I agree with you.

Comment

• tzienlee
                            • Apr 2024

you are meant to bolt the trans plate to the transmission BEFORE it's fitted in the frame,
                            then you bolt the transmission & plate assembly in the frame
                            you dont fit the plate to the frame & then the transmission to it, wrong way...

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by tzienlee
                              you are meant to bolt the trans plate to the transmission BEFORE it's fitted in the frame,
                              then you bolt the transmission & plate assembly in the frame
                              you dont fit the plate to the frame & then the transmission to it, wrong way...
                              I guess I have done it wrong all my life. I would think it would be very hard to do on a swingarm bike.........

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;