CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 45 WL oil seperator and generator question

I am trying to find out exactly what the breather oil separator, mounted in the cam cover, is for. I have looked in all my manuals and the internet but I have been unable to find out what exactly the separator is for and how it functions. I am interested because I am going to use a 65A 12v generator on a '47 WL engine. Some sites say that I can just is the 65A drive gear, held on by a nut, while other site claim I have to use a 45 drive gear so it will work with the breather oil separator??. Bother the gears are 14 tooth and both can be held to the generator armature with a nut. Is ther actually any interface between the generator drive gear and the breather? many thanks.

You might try the amca website. Very knowledgeable folks there

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll take a swing, even though I don't do many 45s.

The generator mounted separator, or oil slinger, is there to pull oil mist and droplets out of the air that is on its way out of the crankcase vent. It is a close fit to the case and cam cover but of course does not touch. If you don't use one, you will have oil out of the breather constantly. Be sure you have room for the nut on the 65A (I don't think that is a problem, just check).

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by oldcyclefart View Post
    I am trying to find out exactly what the breather oil separator, mounted in the cam cover, is for. I have looked in all my manuals and the internet but I have been unable to find out what exactly the separator is for and how it functions. I am interested because I am going to use a 65A 12v generator on a '47 WL engine. Some sites say that I can just is the 65A drive gear, held on by a nut, while other site claim I have to use a 45 drive gear so it will work with the breather oil separator??. Bother the gears are 14 tooth and both can be held to the generator armature with a nut. Is ther actually any interface between the generator drive gear and the breather? many thanks.
    Hombre, you need the 45CI oil slinger gear, cam cover also should have a fixture. See arrows... The oil slinger shown is for a BT Flathead, if you going to run the 65A, use the generator strap, check your valve lash..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00578.JPG   45-Gear-Case-and-Fittings.jpg  

Thanks guys, I have put the question on the AMCA forum and Jim's info helped a lot.

Share This