Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nickfracture
    • Jun 2012

Hamburger drum in a 35mm front end offset

I have a hamburger drum and a 35mm Showa front end. Hoping someone can help me work out the offset for this?

I have a 19 WM3 wheel it's laced to.

I tried doing offset for a steel rim as per the FSM (see pic attached), which is 1-7/16" (1.4375) from the top of the bit the bearing is in that sticks out, to the spokes of the rim's drop centre... But when I put the wheel back in my forks, the tire is so close that it's rubbing on the forks (it's close on the side opposite the where you set the offset).

So it seems I need less offset, but is there a way to work out how much less? Or am I doing something real dumb here?? (very possible)

Have attached some pics of the FSM, how I'm measuring it (1-7/16" is about 36mm), the tire gap (sitting hard against left fork), and the gap between my forks.
    Attached Files
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Looks like your rim is different than the '72 and earlier as noted in the FSM. Can't see the actual wheel with complete drum installed in your photos; how does it fit in there? I would get it to fit, set the hub to provide clearance and allow room for the brake anchor, then offset the rim to have it running in the middle of the forks, or close.
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

The measurements from the manual for positioning these rims are only good for the OEM factory rims. For anything else, I have found that centering the rim between the spoke flanges on any of these H-D hubs will produce a useable wheel.

In your particular case, where you are adapting the wheel to a different fork, once you are happy with the hub position on the axle, just adjust the rim position to suit (but you already knew that).

Jim

Comment

• nickfracture
        • Jun 2012

Thanks fellas. That’s what I needed to hear ��

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;