CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Dulling paint?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Dulling paint?

I saw only one other thread on here about it, and the couple replies said to sand it with 600 or so. Ive also heard that a girl washed her pops car with dawn and it came out looking really dull... but maybe she used the green scrubber too. I have a nice older newly podercoated springer that looks too nice on my rusty crusty flathead. Dont wanna do any crazy fake patina, just knock the fresh paint shine down. I would be interested if anyone has any pics or specifically if 600 is the majic grit number.

Get Adobe Flash player

600 seems really course to me, it will leave scratch marks. If I was to attempt this, and it's really not my bag, I'd start with a bit of fine steelwool first, then work your way up to 1000 grit wet & dry.

Having said that, I have never done it so can't swear to what your results will be.

Get Adobe Flash player

A quick over spray of clear wit less than a drop of a dark that seems right for the color you want to darken in a quarter cup of a dull clear. This will leave the base intact and if you ever decide to slick it up a quick wet sand and a coat of a good glossy clear will bring it right back
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

One time I was looking for less expensive substitute for Formby's furniture re-finisher and came across a product called "sandpaper in a can". It did the job, but noticable slower than Formby's, but a whole lot cheaper. A quick look doesn't turn it up anymore. I think now they're calling it "Liquid Sandpaper Cleaner & Deglosser" Maybe look into something like this

Get Adobe Flash player

3m scotch brite pads, They come in different grades (Abrasive-ness) so experiment with it in a out of sight area or test piece. The green is the most common grade but comes in other colors/grades. As I recall red is much more abrasive,.Grey is less than Green.

Depends on what is on there, powder coat or actual paint, then how hard-durable they are. Believe it or not Powder coat comes in many grades-conditions as well and some is rock hard, some is soft, some is glossy, some is dull,, But same deal with paint.

Now, with paint, this is very risky unless you know what you are doing,. But a Catalyzed enamel or some Poly's,,, if you were to spray some light piss coats of Lacquer thinner this will take the gloss right off. It might wrinkle or strip the paint as well, but if you know what you are doing, that works in some instances.

There is some websites and YouTube videos on achieving a fake patina as well, Generally I dont agree with that, but have seen some examples where it was warranted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO0XW0-RoeI

In this video, my dad and I teach you how to patina paint an old Schwinn bike from the 1960s. All of the tips brought up can be applied to anything such as a car or truck. Spray paint is relatively cheap which means anyone can do it!

They make what is called flattener: Its an additive for automotve grade paint. You can add it to color, or just to a clear top coat to reduce the gloss. The more you add, the flatter it gets. Instructions will tell you how much to add to get satin, flat, etc, or how much to add to get so much of a certian gloss percentage All the auto grade paints shops can get it

Share This