Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Sep 2012

Not a build thread but...

Five or six years ago I traded for a pile of unrelated Harley parts. In the pile was a nice 1973 XLH frame which got put in a corner of the Garage of Lost Dreams . I had no plans for it, but recently pulled it out and started throwing parts at it with the plan to flip it at one of the swap. As usual things got out of hand pretty quick. I planned to leave the swingarm but a LowBrow KR style bolt on hardtail kept calling my name so this is how it currently sits.
    Attached Files
  • docmel
    • May 2015

Before you go any further, or invest anymore time/money, I hope you have a title. It wont mean anything to you or yourself w/o one. And the motor and its VIN that will go in it will have to match the VIN on the frame

Comment

• Sep 2012

Originally posted by docmel
      Before you go any further, or invest anymore time/money, I hope you have a title. It wont mean anything to you or yourself w/o one. And the motor and its VIN that will go in it will have to match the VIN on the frame
      Yes I have a clear title and no the engine does not have to match. My home state has an exception for motorcycles over 25 years old. We present a bill of sale for the frame and another for the engine. The DMV runs the frame and engine numbers to make sure they are not compromised. If they are OK, you walk out with a clear title. If one or both numbers have an issue but is not reported stolen, you can still get a title but the bike has to be inspected and you need to secure a title bond. At the moment the motorcycle is at our Georgia property and doesn't even need a title as Georgia does not require one for anything made after 1986. 1986 and earlier vehicles are sold with a bill of sale and a VIN inspection by law enforcement.

Comment

• shovel625
        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by docmel
        yeah its def. state dependent. In my state if you have no title, the courthouse will run a check on the vin number. If it comes back clean they will issue you paperwork. When you complete the bike, you bring it back and they inspect it to make sure it "road worthy". Then they will issue you a title. I did a 78 shovel this way 2 years ago, built a shovel to look like an FXB. had it inspected for road worthiness, they literally walked around the bike, signed paperwork and collected the fee. 2 weeks later title came in my name.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Does/can Georgia issue titles after BOS + inspection by law enforcement?

My interest is if I buy a bike from GA next door to title and register in SC.

Comment

• Sep 2012

Originally posted by farmall
            Does/can Georgia issue titles after BOS + inspection by law enforcement?

My interest is if I buy a bike from GA next door to title and register in SC.

If the bike has a Georgia registration and the registration form number starts with "99" Georgia will not issue a title under any circumstances. You must be a Georgia resident and show your driver's license to even register the bike in Georgia. I am not a Georgia resident but I have a house near Atlanta, so I buy motorcycles in Georgia pretty often. I can't get a Georgia registration so I generally only buy bare frames and engines and title the completed bike in my home state using the Bills of Sale. However, I did get one bike titled in my home state using a Georgia Bill of Sale and a copy of the previous owner's registration certificate. I've heard that both North & South Carolina DMVs are hard to deal with. No personal experience with either state.

Comment

• Sep 2012

Added a LowBrow/Gas Box aluminum battery box. This is a bolt on and very good quality. LowBrow is making this an easy build.
              Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;