Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by oneuptom
    If a 383 TPI can make over 500 ft lbs, 1.3 lbs + per cube without even breaking a sweat using a small cam, why can't I build an engine making only 1.2 lbs per cube using basically the same architecture, blueprint?..
    Because air cooled motors are different animals. And more importantly, the H-D combustion chambers are primitive compared to what they are doing with the car motors. And most importantly, that's an 8 cylinder motor and you cannot do a straight across comparison to a 2 cylinder motor. It just doesn't work like that.

I admire your enthusiasm. But realize that people have been hopping up H-D motors for 100 years. Pretty much anything that you can imagine has been tried, by people much smarter than you or me. The performance limitations are pretty well known. Lastly, crank HP and chassis dyno HP (that we are more familiar with in the motorcycle community) are very different measurements.

If I were you, I would shoot for 70 ft.lb. of torque, and if you can manage that, you will see how hard it is.

Jim
    Last edited by JBinNC; 10-20-2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• oneuptom
      • Sep 2010

It was everywhere at the time so I don't exactly remember?.. Pretty sure the intake runners on it were 1.5" though. If I'm not mistaken the S&S runners are 1.625", so plenty big enough for what I want. It's the length though that really matters here. Love all this TPI stuff and follow Richard Holdener's dyno testing religiously. I even have a 350 TPI in my old 92 GMC box van. Love that thing!!

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

I remember that, because it's why I put the Vortec setup on my Vette. It was a three (I think?) part series called "Something Old, Something New" and it was in Super Chevy.

Amazing results. Computerized engine management. Vortec heads. Blueprinted to the extent they even bushed the lifter bores to correct their geometry. Basically, it was a NASCAR quality build for a street engine. A fortune in machine work. I actually talked to the shop that did it once, years ago. They say they've done a number of them over the years and the bill is about 20K for their machining.

Just incredible results, though.

Comment

• oneuptom
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by confab
          I remember that, because it's why I put the Vortec setup on my Vette. It was a three (I think?) part series called "Something Old, Something New" and it was in Super Chevy.

Amazing results. Computerized engine management. Vortec heads. Blueprinted to the extent they even bushed the lifter bores to correct their geometry. Basically, it was a NASCAR quality build for a street engine. A fortune in machine work. I actually talked to the shop that did it once, years ago. They say they've done a number of them over the years and the bill is about 20K for their machining.

Just incredible results, though.
          Sounds like different build from what I remember

Nothing special here, just kinda lo-buck results

TUNE PORT INJECTION TEST-TORQUE VS HP VS DISPLACEMENT. DOES THE FACTORY GM TPI WORK BETTER ON SMALL-DISPLACEMENT MOTORS? WAS IT DESIGNED FOR THE 305 OR 350? ...

Comment

• robertsbell6
            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by JBinNC
            Ah, the 9028 bearing. MUCH easier to do than the 9029 that the OP proposed.

Jim Happy Wheels Unblocked
            exactly

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;